Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurrent Corneal Erosion patient from Minnesota

Hi, all!

My name is Tara, and I've been suffering from RCE for about 3 months now. I injured my eye by scraping it accidentally with those makeup specific q-tips. You know, the pointy ones that remove makeup? One slip of the hand on an early August morning and my life has been forever changed.

Was treated for an abrasion at urgent care (not my best move), put on drops...I wasn't in a ton of pain but definitely knew things weren't right. Went to an actual ophthalmologist and he diagnosed me with RCE.

I was put on neomycin and polymyxin B sulfate ointment (and took refresh drops during the day) and for about 3 weeks I really seemed to be getting better. It would sometimes itch like CRAZY at night, and then be mostly fine during the day. Went back to the doc as a checkup and he said there was only ONE teeny tiny bubble left, and that I should be on my way to recovery, and to keep it up with the ointment for another month.

So I did, and I was pretty much completely back to normal. So, I went two nights without ointment, because I thought I was healed! And... it happened again. I felt it tear. It wasn't severe pain, but I immediately knew I had opened it again. I called my eye doctor and he said to just keep it up with the eye drops.

So I did, and it didn't help, so I started looking up things on the internet and came across this wonderful place.

After a few phone calls back and forth with the ophthalmologist, I started to try Muro 128 ointment at night, which I read about on here (I tried the eye drops and WOW they stung so much!) and Genteal drops during the day. I asked the doc for how long, and was basically told "it could be weeks or months." From what I've read, it sounds like it could be months or years.

The Muro seems to have helped a bit, but I haven't felt "normal" in quite some time; there are days where it hurts and it's sore (like yesterday and today, because I had a few drinks with friends and even though I drank a ton of water I think it dehydrated me), and it's so isolating and distracting. I try not to complain about it when it hurts because no one really understands. I'm starting to really not remember what "normal" feels like anymore. At night, my eye is often very sore and tired.

Has anyone had any experience with the above ointment (neomycin and polymyxin) and had any luck? It's a steroidal/antibiotic combo and I don't want to use that too much.

Looking forward to getting some advice. I'm so thankful there is a community for this.
    Last edited by tsrogue; 01-Nov-2015, 09:54.
Working...
X