My DES was caused by surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DES was caused by surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma

I am also a new member, and I'm posting this in case others find this helpful. I apologize because it's LONG, but I'm trying to summarize a four-year DES journey in a few paragraphs.

I had a translabrynthine craniotomy four ears ago to remove a vestibular schwannoma (a benign tumor, popularly called an acoustic neuroma, on the outside of the acoustic nerve where it meets the brain stem). My facial nerve was damaged by post-operative swelling (it tested fine during the procedure), and I completely lost the ability to blink or move the muscles on the right side of my face for 6 months afterward. The facial nerve regenerated, but not completely along the original path. The facial muscles on the right side were also weakened due to the extended period without use.

The only way I could cope during the first six months was to cover my right eye 24 hours a day in Lacrilube. At night I taped it shut. I learned to drive and work using just my left eye. After I started regaining function, I couldn't blink well, plus my lower lid sagged, so I had a great occuloplastic surgeon lift my lower eyelid and insert a gold weight into my upper eyelid. Both procedures helped my dry eye at the time and, when I no longer needed to cover my right eye in ointment to get through the day, I discovered two things: 1) my right eye had returned to 20/20 vision (I had been nearsighted in both eyes before, requiring a -1.25 diopter lens); and 2) it was significantly crossed (a condition called esotropia).

I began wearing glasses with a 2.5 base-out prism in both lenses to correct the double vision, and I went to a facial neuromuscular rehabilitation therapist to help regain as much of the use of my face as I could.

Three years following surgery, my DES worsened dramatically, and I correctly determined (through Internet research) that I had developed a sensitivity to eye drops with preservatives. I switched to single use drops and got a prescription for Restasis. However, even with single-use drops and Restasis, my eye would sometimes give me fits. On some days drops seemed to evaporate within five minutes of use, and by evening my only hope was to go to bed for relief.

Three months ago I found an optometrist who teaches vision therapy. Working with him, I was able to correct my crossed vision in less than two months. Since I successfully (and quickly) corrected my crossed vision through exercise, I picked up a book called "Relearning to See" about the Bates method for restoring natural vision. I'm intrigued by how my right eye returned to normal vision when I wasn't using it, so I've started following the Bates method to see if I can eliminate myopia and astigmatism in both eyes.

To the present: About a month ago, I read Dr. Latkany's book, which led me to this site. I ordered some Tranquileyes goggles for my lagophthalmos, which I had been previously trying to treat with nighttime ointment use. I also began experimenting with warm compresses, using an Eye Spa pad or a rice baggy, followed by lid massage, as described in Latkany's book. (I suspect I might have MGD due to the rapid evaporation of tears.) I also began a combination of three eye drops described at the bottom of this page: http://www.agingeye.net/dryeyes/drye...gtreatment.php. I tried discontinuing Restasis for three days, but my need for drops increased dramatically, so I started using it again.

I'm now on a mission and delighted to have found this site. My next steps are to try Panoptx glasses (with plano lenses to support my vision-improvement goals), a punctal plug, a humidifier in my office and DHEA drops. I also ordered a 10 oz. wide-mouth stainless steel thermos that I can fill with crushed ice to carry my three open single-use vials with me to work each day. (When I'm home, I store them standing up in a shot glass in the refrigerator. I open new ones in the morning and throw out whatever is left at the end of the day.)

Thanks to all of you for your posts. I've been combing through them, and it's helping me more than you can possibly imagine.
    Last edited by Terri; 22-Nov-2007, 05:34. Reason: Corrected to reference to discontinuing Restasis, since I have resumed use.
Working...
X