Six months later...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six months later...

I developed DES almost two years after Lasik. Looking back, I think several things contributed to the development: Accutane, 20 years of contact use, working in a very dry office on a computer all day long, and of course - Lasik.

I've done lower plugs, Lotemax, Restasis, moisture chambers, Omega 3s; all with varying degrees of effectiveness.

Initially, I really felt duped by the docs who said I was a good candidate for Lasik. I don't remember a dry eye test and nobody asked if I ever did Acutane. However, I've simply never met anyone w/ this situation. I feel like a real minority w/ bad luck.

My biggest concern right now is my job. I really don't think I can pull off another X years as a data analyst. My questions right now are:

- Would sclerals help w/ the computer? My doc says that I'm very far from requiring sclerals; but I'd be willing to pay out of my own pocket if it allowed me to maintain job.

- I'm fortunate in that I'm still single w/ no dependents, so I suppose I could change jobs and move. Has anyone changed careers due to DES? I'm thinking about health care technician, teacher, real estate appraiser. Heck - might even do so in Florida!

Oh man -- this is my story!!!! I too took Accutane as middle schooler/ high schooler. It did the trick on the cystic acne, but yeah, I think screwd my glands. AND then lasik later, after 16 years contacts!?!?! Terrible combo.

I did have some dry eye testing at my lasik pre-op, but NO questions about Accutane at all. And now that I think about it -- I really should have stressed that my contacts dried out by the end of a long day. Sigh.

I guess I don't have much to say, I'm sticking it out at my job despite the depression/ aggitation that constantly threatens my concentration!!! Arrggh.

Keep writing here -- it's "good" to have you.

Comment

Teri,

Thanks for the reply. What part time work have you gotten into? How long have you had dry eye? Have you ever actually met someone with the same problems? My DES is basically unheard of around here.

Yes, VA is probably more humid then most states; but I would love the heat and humidity of FL. Sure, the indoor AC can be irritating, but I have found the forced air heat to be worse.

Sorry for all the questions!

Dave

Comment

Working...
      X