No announcement yet.

Can anyone else not tolerate caffeine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone else not tolerate caffeine?

I'm on about year three of dry eye syndrome, and during the first year I couldn't handle coffee. This happened almost immediately and I think it even played a role in my developing the disease, along with intensive computer-use.

Fast track to year three, I'm off coffee but have developed a love for tea, the caffeinated kind not the herbal "tea". But all of a sudden that hurts my eyes too, feeling more dryness soon after drinking it and throughout the day. I believe it is the caffeine since it happens even with green tea. This started maybe two months ago and is perplexing me. My opthimologist just shrugged and said caffeine is a diuretic-- It is, but I didn't feel satisfied with that conclusion, I drink plenty of water (from a spring no less).

My current guess is maybe it is histamine related, since caffeine blocks the enzyme DAO, which breaks down histamine in the body. The daily tea and spinach smoothies (high histamine) may have triggered some sort of DAO deficiency. I might soon find out since I ordered a DAO supplement, but I'm not positive this is the answer either.

Has anyone else struggled with this?
Working...
X