Testosterone and dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testosterone and dry eye

I found several interesting articles regarding testosterone and dry eye. If any of you would be interested in reading:

https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalm...elated-dry-eye

This is actually from 2003:

https://iovs.arvojournals.org/articl...icleid=2414256

And this, from 2022:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0307113126.htm

My question is: If there are so much science on this, why are doctors not more interested in trying something new when seriously people with dry eye suffer for years, trying all kinds of treatment, maybe without knowing the root cause…

I've heard some of the doctors in USA prescribe drops with testosterone and cream with it.
    I don't know why doctors don't prescribe it. I asked mine and she said it can be dangerous in terms of androgenic activity of testosterone. Main concern is there are no big data studies that would state testosterone is safe to be applicated on the eyelid or in drops.

Comment

I get that, not enough and large studies, a completely valid argument. But as a person with dry eye, there are so much of my productivity being affected by this condition. And many with dry eye are women. I just wish doctors across the world would be more interested in studying dry eye. Because it s a problem of equality too, not just medical.

There are just so many theories and different treatments, and I just feel I use so much money on treatments that does not cure my problem, and eye drops to live with this. I did not choose this condition, nontheless I have to accept it each day.

And this is dry eye, not transplanting organs. It must surely be possible to do more studies on this.
      Last edited by Member; 04-Apr-2022, 10:32.

Comment

Hello,
        I spent a couple of years on this forum daily until I finally discovered that low testosterone was causing my severe dry eye. At the end of my rope, I started driving two hours from my home for IPL eye treatments and a scan of my glands. During conversation this doctor said that I had lost my testosterone because of menopause and this was the root cause. None of the other doctors mentioned this. But as an eye doctor he did not treat low testosterone. So I found a gynecologist who prescribed bioidentical hormones. But that did not work for me. I was desperate. I enjoyed nothing because of my symptoms. I kept researching. DHEA is a parent hormone that the body uses to produce Testosterone. In the US, DHEA is unregulated and sold as a supplement. I bought the smallest dosage, 5mg. BAM. That was it. My dry eye symptoms began to reduce. I was in such a terrible state that it took 6 months to fully resolve. I think that was several years ago. Then recently my dry eye slowly returned over a period of 3 months. I finally suspected my DHEA manufacturer of messing with the formula. I switched to a different manufacturer and my symptoms immediately started going away. I expect them to be gone in another month or two. The lack of interest by doctors is probably due to the lack of money. The cure is simple and cheap. Why bother to study it?

Like you, I posted lots of studies on hormones here, and I think I journaled my experiences when I began using DHEA on this site under this same user name.

Comment

Really interesting. I cannot buy DHEA-cream in my country, but definately makes me think. The only thing I find is Wild Jam supplements and progresterone cream for PMS. I think I will buy and see if it makes a difference for me. Thanks fo much for replying.

Comment

i take DHEA capsules.

Comment

Working...
            X