Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and am desperate for your insight about my situation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone! I'm new here and am desperate for your insight about my situation.

Hi everyone!

I'm so incredibly grateful that I found this site because it has offered me comfort during this time when my days are filled with anxiety and, sometimes, depression. I really apologize if this ends up being a long post but I just have so many questions.

I'm 22 years old (will turn 23 this year) and I got Lasik (all laser/bladeless) 2 and 1/2 months ago. The first month wasn't so bad. I used artificial tears (Systane Ultra, not preservative free as it's not available here) and got the occasional dry eye symptom - a stinging sensation -but nothing really bad. I was also dealing with halos.

Then when I went to my first month post-op appointment, the ophthalmologist at the clinic told me that my eyes were dry, so she recommended doing warm compresses and eyelid cleaning (with tap water) daily every morning and she also told me to switch to Optive eye drops because they are much thicker than Systane. So I followed her advice, did the warm compresses and switched to Optive. I did this for about a month and I noticed that during this time my dry eye became progressively worse. I also started noticing starbursts and floaters (I began seeing these floaters literally while I was snorkeling while on vacation about 1 and 1/2 months after Lasik). My vision became blurry in the morning which would last for a couple of hours and then clear up and I would have really, really crusty eyes. My vision also blurs when I'm in the car with the air-conditioning on. I also used drops every hour.

Because of this, I switched back to Systane and have been using it again for the last 2 and 1/2 weeks. I still put drops in every hour. I did notice that my vision isn't as blurry as it was in the morning but it still becomes blurred when I'm in the car. I also still see floaters (which I think are getting worse), starbursts, halos and a fuzziness around lights.

I told my ophthalmologist at my last appointment which was last Monday about my concerns and she still insisted that I do warm compresses (now she recommends that I do it 3x daily now). She also advised that I clean my eyelids with q-tips with Vigamox (antibiotic teardrops) on them for a week and then after that time, use diluted baby shampoo only. She also said that I have blepharitis.

Anyway my questions are:
    1.) Should I continue doing the warm compresses? Because I noticed that after I do them, my eyes feel heavy throughout the day and when I don't do them, my eyes feel better.

2.) Is it safe to do the eyelid cleaning using Vigamox for a week? How about diluted baby shampoo?

3.) Is it possible that using Optive and doing warm compresses for a month aggravated my dry eye? If so, will my eyes ever get back to normal?

4.) Should my floaters be a cause for concern? I'm not seeing any flashes or dark curtains over my vision but they are really annoying, especially when I'm on the computer (my monitor looks like a fish tank with little amoebas floating around) or outside in the sunlight.

Currently my regimen is: Using a clean towel wrapped around my index finger in cleaning my eyelids, and also cleaning it with q-tips with Vigamox on them.

I'm really sorry for this long post but I really need your insights and advice because I can't help but feel that I completely screwed up my life and my future because of what I did to my eyes. I had just graduated from college last October but the anxiety and depression that I have been feeling because of these things I'm experiencing now are preventing me from chasing after the goals that I had set for myself after graduation. Now, I just feel like I'm in a rut that I don't know if I'll ever get out of.

Please help me

-Nathan

Hi Nathan and welcome..

I started with similar symptoms to you at first Nathan slight dryness and mild burning and then due to my poor lid hygiene management my condition has got worse and I realised I had to be more aggressive at combating this condition.

Also I find drops can be hit and miss and you have to find the right one that suits you, I find some drops can aggrevate my eyes and make them feel worse.One thing I have
    Learnt is that hot compresses and eyelid massages done correctly and regularly can really help with eye dryness.

If you find the hot compresses are making you feel worse , give your eyes break for a couple of days as they might be getting irritated be the heat , also try using green teabags and cucumber slices for 15 mins to help eliminate irritation.

I'm currently tryin to use my heated eye bag twice a day for 10 minutes then followed by circular motion eyelid massages for 30 seconds on each eye followed by occusoft eyelid cleaner which helps clear the blocked meimobiiam glands and help produce more quality tears.

Another thing you need to do is eat healthy and eliminate the toxins from your body as this will also help. Also take vitamin supplements like green tea extract, probiotic multivitamin,vitamin c. As these help with inflammation and detoxing.

Also do plenty of exercise and get fresh air to help with circulation and your anxiety, jogging helps tremendously for me as it helps with anxiety and circulation.
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Comment

Hi Nathan,

To answer your questions:

1) Should I continue doing the warm compresses?

If you have blepharitis, warm compresses followed by massage can work. It takes time, however, to unclog the oil glands that blepharitis attacks so don't expect miracles overnight.

2) Is it safe to do the eyelid cleaning using Vigamox for a week? How about diluted baby shampoo?

I cannot comment on Vigamox because I have never used it, but diluted baby shampoo irritated my eyes. It does work wonders for some people though. Personally, I use non-preserved saline on a q-tip to clean my lids.

3) Is it possible that using Optive and doing warm compresses for a month aggravated my dry eye? If so, will my eyes ever get back to normal?

Eye drops irritated my eyes but it took me a long time to figure that out. The only thing I can use during the day/night is Genteal Gel. I feel as though I tried every drop on the market before giving up/going cold turkey but that is probably an exaggeration. I ended up wondering if the drops were just screwing with whatever tears my eyes were trying to produce naturally.

4) Should my floaters be a cause for concern?

I noticed floaters when I was at my lowest point mentally, post-LASIK. So perhaps they are not as bad as you think they are, more of an observation because you are extremely keen on analyzing your eyes/vision right now? I do not notice floaters anymore.

Dig around on this website for more info but don't get addicted to the horror stories. Don't Google post-LASIK disaster stories. Find someone who has similar symptoms and compare notes on what works/what doesn't. I would also suggest getting another doctor who can confirm the blepharitis diagnosis.

PM me if you need more info or any type of support.

Rose

Comment

Nathan, regarding Floaters and 'starbursts' if you get one after the other? then you have a slim chance that your retina is becoming detached? it can be corrected, but you must ask your opthamolagist to take a look for you as soon as possible is the recomendation.
        Floaters (i get them myself) are harmless for most people, and will subside over time.
        But in 15% of people who laso experience the flashing light as well, it means the retina could be detaching which, left untreated will result in losing sight.

Floaters are the gel bits inside the retina which are liquifying with age- happens to everybody! the floaters are debris which cast a shadow inside your retina.
        Dont be alarmed, as, as i said they are harmless to almost everyone and will eventually cease..

BUT DO GET IT LOOKED INTO IF YOUR CONCERNED?....

Comment

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your replies.

HYPERHEAD - I'm sorry that you're also dealing with this problem. Thank you for the pieces of advice that you've given. I'm thinking that the warm compresses that I'm doing are probably too hot which is why my eyes have been feeling worse. I'll try doing them on a lower temperature and see if that helps.

Also, I've been taking 1500 mg omega-3 pills daily, vitamin c and another multivitamin since this problem started. I can't really tell if it has been helping. But exercising is something that I haven't been doing so I'll try to do that as well.

Rose - Thank you so much for your reply. I think getting a confirmatory diagnosis from another doctor is a good idea just so I can be sure.

I probably should stop reading the horror stories about Lasik because it's making my anxiety worse and causing me to lose sleep which I reckon probably aggravates my condition.

Thank you so much for your offer of support. I really need it right now. Don't hesitate to PM me as well if you need someone to talk to.

Colin - Thank you very much for your reply. I think I got the starbursts first and then the floaters but I don't know if that makes any difference? Although I probably should have my eyes checked thoroughly for my peace of mind because I have read really scary stories about floaters. I hope they disappear eventually because they are rather annoying.

Thank you again everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. I will update you guys on my progress. I sincerely hope everyone on this forum who are suffering gets better.

-Nathan

Comment

Nathan, re-floaters, some people find that when looking at a light well illuminated background (like a computer screen) is when they see the floaters, if that is the case? then try using some sunglasses and see if that helps? takes away the bright background.
            Not sure what you've heard 'Horror story' wise? but an official site will tell you what i said, "harmless" unless combined with startbursts, and then you find youre the 1 in 10 who need retina repair, before loss of vision. Officail websites will also tell you, that "you can expect the floaters to cease, overtime".

Comment

Colin, I tried what you said and put on sunglasses and I barely notice the floaters even when I'm outside in the sunlight! Thanks for that!

I should probably still have them checked though just in case.

-Nathan

Comment

Hey that's good news Nathan! was actualy speaking to a lady about the very same thing this morning. she wears tinted lenses outside, she is in her 60's, has always had floaters, She told me that there approx 4 (2 in each eye) which are always there, And on bright days there are more. Hence the need for tinted lenses.
                Apart from damn annoying! pain free and no other worries..

Comment

Working...
                X