X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebecca Petris
    replied
    Originally posted by Abbey
    Thanks for your replies they are greatly appreciated.
    I will ask my opth about those lenses.
    I am a bit concerned about using contacts as I get alot of allergies, most of the time I have allergic conjunctivitis and I read somewhere you can't wear contacts when this occurs.
    Sclerals are quite different from other contact lenses as they are designed specifically for therapeutic use and they hold a fluid resevoir over the cornea and do not themselves touch the cornea. I agree with Kakinda, you sound like a good candidate for them. I don't know the implications of allergic conjuctivitis but do ask your doctor. Sclerals are a wonderful option for people with keratoconus, esp. in more advanced stages as they are a safe, effective and non-invasive alternative for those who might otherwise be facing a corneal transplant.

Leave a comment:

• Abbey
    replied
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies they are greatly appreciated.
    I will ask my opth about those lenses.
    I am a bit concerned about using contacts as I get alot of allergies, most of the time I have allergic conjunctivitis and I read somewhere you can't wear contacts when this occurs.

Leave a comment:

• kakinda
    replied
    Hi Abbey,
    you ought to look into scleral lenses, because they were used in keratoconus for visual purposes long before they started to be used in severed ocular surface diseases... asl your ophthalmologist.
    so maybe correct 2 problems in one trial.... a complicated one tough
    Take care
    K

Leave a comment:

• Dotanne
    replied
    NZ drops

Hi Abbey
    My eye problem is dry eye after Lasik and I'm very dry(I have lower plugs) but you may like to try some drops I have found that help. Theratear drops(PF) are available here (Visique eye people) - they are a bit thin for me but they are soothing. I do find my eyes - (esp the lids) get sore from using drops too much. Alcon Poly gel(PF and available in NZ) is thicker but blurs the vision - I use it at night and in the day when I am desperate - one eye at a time or else I lie down with them and a hot wet facecloth over my face and listen to the radio! It is less blurry if I put a little on my clean finger and put it in the inner corner of my eye. I have managed to get Dry EyeZone drops (Dwelle etc) via a friend in USA and I have used them a lot. Our exchange rate is not good and the postage adds up but it has been worth it. The new Systane Free sounds interesting but we haven't even got Systane here!! I have tried the NZ version of cyclosporin (compounded) but I got bad inflamation in my nasal passages with it.
    Thinking of you and hoping we can help you.
    Dotanne

Leave a comment:

• Abbey
    started a topic Dry eyes....alooong time

Dry eyes....alooong time

Hi, I'll try to make it brief.
    Have had dry eyes for about 10 years now but only recently found out.
    For the last 10 years I've been told it's an allergy and been prescribed allergy drops.
    In March this year I was diagnosed with Keratoconus (spelling?). I also have bletharitis, eczema and skin allergies.
    Have been using dry eye drops but not much relief and the more I use them the worse my eye pain gets (is this normal). I think I may be allergic to the drops. But catch 22 I need them. I have stared taking the Theratears oral supplement but that can take up to 2 months to start seeing any improvement. Hopefully that goes well.
    Cold compresses help temporaraly (spelling?). I'm kinda at a loss really.
    Am going back to see my opthalmoligist in 3 weeks and hopefully he will have some more suggestions for me.
    I'm afraid to get contacts due to eye irritation and all the other problems but I need to as I'm at my limit with my vision and glasses. I probably missed a whole heap but I think I got the basics.
Working...
X