Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mucin, mucus layer in dry eyes need help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucin, mucus layer in dry eyes need help.

I'm almost certain my dry eye is due to almost 99% missing mucus layer in the eyes. My eye doctor told me I had lipid layer normal and he suspected goblet cells were the issue

My nose hasn't had any mucus in it for a year straight, no matter if I go on a sneezing spree 0 mucus will form. I always breathe clearly. My genitals are dry(Mucus membrane)
    My lips are always dry and ashy(another mucus membrane). Now while I'm figuring out with an endo what is wrong with my body that all the mucus membranes are dry I was wondering....

Are there any mucin based eye drops or gels out there now on the market Rx or OTC?

I heard of mucin secretagogues being tested(years away) but I need something now I wonder if anything is available?

Yes I know restasis increases goblet cell density which secrete mucin, I am on restasis already, it burns and irritates my eyes but Im still toughing it out.

Thank you for anything.

Originally posted by Kataklysmkx View Post
    I'm almost certain my dry eye is due to almost 99% missing mucus layer in the eyes. My eye doctor told me I had lipid layer normal and he suspected goblet cells were the issue

My nose hasn't had any mucus in it for a year straight, no matter if I go on a sneezing spree 0 mucus will form. I always breathe clearly. My genitals are dry(Mucus membrane)
    My lips are always dry and ashy(another mucus membrane). Now while I'm figuring out with an endo what is wrong with my body that all the mucus membranes are dry I was wondering....

Are there any mucin based eye drops or gels out there now on the market Rx or OTC?

I heard of mucin secretagogues being tested(years away) but I need something now I wonder if anything is available?

Yes I know restasis increases goblet cell density which secrete mucin, I am on restasis already, it burns and irritates my eyes but Im still toughing it out.

Thank you for anything.
    I am also mucin deficient due to loss of goblet cells which effects my tear stability. I do not have any oral or other cavity dryness issues though.

Basically my tears do not hold together over my eye instead they spread and separate leaving dry spots. If you are in the US there are no mucin replacement drops that I have found. Bausch & Lomb had one made with some form of mineral oil which I cant use but it was recalled. It is still available in Europe. It looks like goblet cell loss is a common denominator in a lot of dry eye and there is some theory that the goblet cells actually communicate with the lacrimal and meibomian glands sending signals on when to secrete.

Here is what you might try:
    As for drops:

Refresh Classic is my current favorite and it seems to work well without irritation and it does not blur my vision.

FreshKote works very well at stabilizing the tear film but it is harsh and I am now allergic to it but it is worth a try.

Celluvisc is the longest lasting drop for me and not irritating.

Restasis is improving my mucin layer after 4 months of use.

I think I have had recent success with this combination.
    I take 2000 mg of fish oil and 2000 mg of flax oil 2x per day with 1800 mg 2x per day sea buckthorn oil. Since I started the sea buckthorn oil i have noticed an increased in salivation. Sea Buckthorn oil supposedly has been used successfully to treat vaginal dryness.

Coffee actually helps me as does one or two beers a day in the pm. Wine makes my eyes dryer.

Comment

did u try biotears capsules?

http://www.biosyntrx.com/products/biotears.php

BioTears Oral GelCaps include nutrients that are suggested to modulate goblet cell/mucin production in both the stimulated and unstimulated tear, the lacrimal gland aqueous output, as well as the meibomian gland oil output, which is vital to the prevention of evaporative dry eyes.

i am using Restasis + BionTears + BioTears capsules

Comment

Depending on your location different therapies may be available. In the US it is very limited. Oasis Tears PLUS has a high concentration of HA and studies have shown increased density of goblet cells and improved health of goblet cells with high molecular weight and long chain HA. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771021/

Comment

Have you tried any of the alternatives?

Comment

Working...
          X