No announcement yet.

My story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I need to quit my job... It is making my eyes miserable. I am so upset...

Every day I wake up with clear eyes, do my routine (Restasis + Pataday) and leave for work with eyes white as plates. I come in, sit at my desk and about 30 minutes later I am in pain... My eyes are glassy and burning to the extent that I am in pain... Actually closing them hurts the most.

So I leave and get breakfast. My eyes clear up a bit. I come back and in a few minutes I am very uncomfortable again.

The rest of the day is like the sine function - up and down. All of the sudden I get really miseable, then the burning becomes moderate, then again worse. I go home and I get better.

Recently I also noticed that my eyes have become extra sensitive and sometimes I experience similar burning on the subway and on the bus.

I had my work test the air by my cube - all within norm, they said. They tested for CO2, Dust, CO, NO, NO2, VOCs, Ozone, checked humidity and temperature.

This really upsets me, because this job was supposed to be for longer term for me and I am only here for 9 months now. I am seeing Dr. L. again on Wednesday. Last time he said that if I do not get my allergy under control I am risking permanent DES. I am so confused...

Comment

Blueeyes, forgive me if I'm covering old ground here but have you tried some kind of moisture chambers yet. It's the single most immediately effective tool I have ever known of for people suffering this degree of computer-induced pain at work.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        Blueeyes, forgive me if I'm covering old ground here but have you tried some kind of moisture chambers yet. It's the single most immediately effective tool I have ever known of for people suffering this degree of computer-induced pain at work.
        Thank you for answering, Rebecca. This forum is so helpful!

I have not tried moisture chambers yet. Do you think they would help with the allergy? Since I have been on Restasis, I am not dry - on the contrary, I am tearing more when my allergy gets worse... Dr L. recommended only cold compresses while I am at work, 2-3 times a day (not always possible for me).

I also do not think that the computer is the cause, because I had been occasionally working from home and I am totally fine while doing that. In the evening I use my computer at home, no problem. It is just being in my office that causes my eyes to hurt. I often have meetings first thing in the morning and I still suffer, although I have not seen the screen yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueyes View Post
          I have not tried moisture chambers yet. Do you think they would help with the allergy? ...I also do not think that the computer is the cause, because I had been occasionally working from home and I am totally fine while doing that. In the evening I use my computer at home, no problem.
          From your earlier description it sounded like computer use at work was a clear trigger (I appreciate that that is different from saying it's the cause).

I absolutely think they would help. Of course there will always be exceptions but I've seen it over and over and over. In fact one of my longtime customers is a fellow in New York who ever since LASIK has had an extreme sensitivity to colognes/perfumes in the workplace. With swim goggles, he's fine. Without, he's not. And I could give countless other examples of people who can survive the office environment - whatever the issue be it computer, dry air, allergens or whatever - only in some kind of moisture chamber, whether panoptx, wiley-x, custom moisture chamber, onion goggles or whatever. So my position is... whenever someone is really up against a wall at work, and certainly if they're seriously considering whether they can continue, this is the logical next step.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Mold?

Originally posted by Blueyes View Post
            I think I need to quit my job... It is making my eyes miserable. I am so upset...

Every day I wake up with clear eyes, do my routine (Restasis + Pataday) and leave for work with eyes white as plates. I come in, sit at my desk and about 30 minutes later I am in pain... My eyes are glassy and burning to the extent that I am in pain... Actually closing them hurts the most.

So I leave and get breakfast. My eyes clear up a bit. I come back and in a few minutes I am very uncomfortable again.

The rest of the day is like the sine function - up and down. All of the sudden I get really miseable, then the burning becomes moderate, then again worse. I go home and I get better.

Recently I also noticed that my eyes have become extra sensitive and sometimes I experience similar burning on the subway and on the bus.

I had my work test the air by my cube - all within norm, they said. They tested for CO2, Dust, CO, NO, NO2, VOCs, Ozone, checked humidity and temperature.

This really upsets me, because this job was supposed to be for longer term for me and I am only here for 9 months now. I am seeing Dr. L. again on Wednesday. Last time he said that if I do not get my allergy under control I am risking permanent DES. I am so confused...
            Blueyes, The mold theory sounds like something to be pursued. I have a severe allergy to mold myself, and it lurks in many places. The fact that Monday is your worst day makes me even more suspicious of mold. Is your office closed up all weekend? There could be a buildup of mold in the building over the weekend. There are tests for mold spores, it might be worth finding out if there is an overload of them in your office air. (The mold could also be lurking about in the buses and subways!) Since I moved to a dryer climate, I do not have many allergy problems (no mold out here) but of course my eyes are dryer. Sure hope you find relief soon, I will be following this detective story with interest. Lynda

Comment

Hi

I haven't read all the thread so i apologise if i repeat anything. I just wanted to say regarding your office, its definately your office air/ computer use causing your problems. They say the humidity and temperature is fine but what are they???? I had lasik 4 years ago and i NOW have to work in my own small office and keep the humidiy over 48% and temperature below 21.5 C in order for my eyes to feel well. Also did they test AIR FLOW MOVEMENT ??? this is probably THE most important thing to test. Constant running breezes really dry out the eyes!!! even if the humidity is high and temp low. I know because I have monitored this. It does not matter that your work says the air quality is ok because thats for the average person. They say anything above 30% humidity is ok but thats rubbish. The optimum is 55% and anyone who has had LASIK absolutely needs 50% + is they do not want burning dry eyes whilst at the computer. I am sorry but i have written this so many times on this help forums before and no one really ever comments back but i daily monitor the air and no whenever my eyes start to feel dry/ burn that the humidity falls bellow 48% and i am always right when i check my hygrometer. I expect everyone has a different threshold depending how dry their eyes are. MONITOR the air yourself!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!! and find what suits you!!!!!!!!!Listen to no one elses opinion!!!!!!
              Wishing you all the best!!!!!!!

Comment

p.s. if you can not control the air quality or use a humidifier then can you wear wrap around glasses? I use panoptx day to night lenses and they stop air flow movement breezes and up the humidity around my eyes. If you are in a cublicle then no one can really see what you look like and if someone talks to you you can take them off before speaking. It really helps me on hot days when i can not cool the air in my office....

Comment

You are probably having an issue with flourescent lights - They hurt my eyes and make them burn - try this - get some blink tears and use them - also you may want to get plugs - lowers for now -

Comment

Working...
                  X