Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling better after some major detective work!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling better after some major detective work!

Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time, but never posted, well, because frankly the more I thought about my dry eyes, the worse I felt. I tried to do my best and not dwell on the problem too much, other than doing as much research as possible in order to be an informed patient.

That said, the Dry Eye Triumphs section has been a lifesaver for me many times, and offered a lot of hope, and a few clues that I believe helped me start to get at the root of my problems. If anything I can say can do the same for others I'd be irresponsible not to post here. Sorry if this is a long post, but it's been a long journey, and I'm still not completely through.

To recap: My severe dry eyes came on within a few months during the summer of 2006. After a few diagnoses of seasonal allergies (allergy meds did not help) and blepharitis (Minocycline made me feel terrible and did not help), I ended up in the emergency room in Nov of 2006 with two corneal ulcers. Many eye doctors and three corneal ulcers later (total of 5! ouch!) I finally found two doctors who, even if they didn't have a lot of experience treating DES, were very dilligent and concerned and finally started me on some decent therapies -- (lid massage, tapered steroid drops, flax, fish, and Restasis). I had severe MGD. Finally in June 2007 I was in a place where I only needed to use Restasis twice a day and nothing else. I credited all success in my treatment to the Restasis. Every month I continued to get better and even thought about trying contacts again.

Unfortunately, in Nov. 2008 I had a relapse just as severe as my first encounter with with DES, only this time I was ALREADY using Restasis, and luckily, because I had an eyecare team in place, was able to avoid further corneal ulceration through prophalactic steroids and topical antibiotics. My eye doctors were stumped and frustrated and things continued to get worse. I was really scared.

On top of DES, around the same time in Nov. 2008 I also started to experience some really strange problems: MAJOR GI distress, tingling and loss of feeling in my hands, dandruff and bad skin, night sweats, and joint pain to name a few. I got tested for every autoimmune condition under the sun with all results negative (Thank God), then decided to get tested for food allergies. This test came back positive for MANY, MANY common foods (gluten, eggs, and cane sugar to name a few) and a stool test came back positive for several bacterial infections and too much yeast. Before DES and this year I was NEVER EVER sick, and had a cast iron stomach. I began to think that my eye problems were due to food allergies or bacterial and yeast overgrowth. I completely changed my diet and was treated for infection and yeast. However, I still felt terrible, my DES was awful, and my Naturopath was just as stumped as my opthalmologists.

Since I had systematically begun cutting out all things in my life that might be contributing to DES, the one thing I realized I hadn't cut out was birth control. In 2006, with my first bout of DES, I stopped using birth control pills immediately, but because my eye symptoms didn't clear up until 7 months later, didn't believe that one had impacted the other. Besides that, I had been on the pill for 3 years before my symptoms began without any eye problems.

This time around, I had decided to use the Mirena IUD rather than the pill, specifically because my Primary Care Physician pushed it as a birth control method that had very little chance of causing dry eye. I had been using it for 10 months before my eye problems started for the second time. Both my naturopath and primary care physician told me that there was no way my IUD could be causing any of my health problems. But by June of 2009 I was desperate, and decided to clean the slate, and have it removed.

IMMEDIATELY many of my symptoms (night sweats, joint pain, tingling in hands) resolved themselves. Once I had my first period post-Mirena (around July 25th, 2009) my EYES FELT BETTER! I had my IUD removed June 19, 2009, and am happy to say that I am back to using Restasis two times a day, with maybe one or two preservative free eyedrops in between. My opthalmolagists were shocked. They told me in utter disbelief "your corneas are pristine!"

Looking back to my first bout with DES I realize I only started to get better once my cycle regulated. It took about 7 months after I stopped using the pill for me to have any period AT ALL, and that's coincidentally, around when I started using restasis and started to feel better. I have been constantly trolling online boards regarding Mirena IUD, and it is very common for any side effects from this medication to start showing themselves between 8 and 10 months after insertion -- which is exactly when I started experiencing my symptoms including DES. I believe in both cases my body is extremely sensitive to hormonal birth control, and my immune system finally just went wacko after prolonged exposure.

Unfortunately, although the Mirena is removed, I continue to experience GI problems and food allergies. However, I am hopeful that over time and as my body flushes out toxins and becomes more regular that I will feel better. And to be able not to think about my eyes 24/7 -- to be able to sleep through a whole night even -- is sheer heaven.

So ladies : If you are considering the Mirena as a DES-safe form of birth control, think twice -- and if you think birth control can't be your problem because DES didn't pop up immediately, it may still be causing some symptoms.

My fingers are crossed for a DES-free future, and though I continue to use Restasis, hope someday to be off it!

Thanks to all who have written on this board and especially to Rebecca for starting it!

Cheers -- Molly

Molly, thanks for posting your detailed account. There is lots of helpful information that people will be able to take into account. Hormones (and/or birth control) are one of the big topics when discussing DES. That's not the worst part, as it seems as everyone is different and it's difficult to come to any conclusion. I'm glad your routine seems to be working. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thank you!

I just found this thread after deciding to google "mirena dry eye" - all I can say is thank you! I knew that dry eye could be brought on by hormonal changes, but that never really registered with me since i was in my late 20s when I first noticed my eyes getting dry. I also didn't notice an immediate cause-and-effect between insertion and any side affects, so Mirena didn't seem like a likely culprit - but now I'm excited to get this thing removed and see if this helps my eyes. For now, I'm just energized by the possibility! Your account above is helpful, I'll keep track of my own experience after removing Mirena.

Comment

Ladies -

I have the ParaGuard IUD which is non-hormonal (unlike Mirena which is mega-hormonal) and I LOVE it. It can stay in for 10 years, has been around for 20 years, is effective and non-hormonal. Check it out. After getting it, I have no idea why anyone would want to be on hormonal contraception. Other than it makes the pharma's big $$'s and they push it like crazy at the gyno.

My IUD cost $800 but was covered by insurance. I understand that sometimes insurance does not cover these devices so be sure to check. But even still, at $800 for 10 years, it you do the math you are saving yourself a lot on the monthly cost of the pill.

Regards,
        Gretchen

Comment

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks I just re-found this thread searching now for ParaGard and dry eye. I am getting my Mirena removed today so I've started to do some detective work to see what I should try next. I am hopeful that it's the hormones in Mirena that have caused dry eye - although I can also see the possibility of a foreign object in your body causing inflammation! So far though, I'm definitely not seeing reports of dry eye with ParaGard like I have with Mirena.

For now I'm going to stop any birth control for a few months while I see how my eyes do - I'll definitely keep checking in to report on my progress. I'm excited for the day a tear of happiness can roll down my cheek instead of just slightly misting up my eyes.

Thanks!

Comment

Kellyno, please let us know what happens!

I began wondering if there was a connection between my Mirena and my dry eye too, since it came on so suddenly and within 7 months of getting the IUD. I've only consulted one eye doctor about the potential connection between the two and she seemed skeptical, so I was reluctant to have the IUD removed since it's otherwise the best form of birth control I've tried.
            However, I'm really interested to hear what happens with your dry eyes after your IUD is removed...if yours improves after the Mirena is gone then I would think more seriously about having mine removed too. I've tried everything and nothing seems to help...the hormones from the Mirena are the last thing I can think of.
            Please keep us posted!

Comment

no luck yet

Hi Elena,

I'm sad to report I've had no changes yet - Mirena was removed June 8th and I've had 2 periods since then (currently waiting on my 3rd) but my eyes have been consistently dry. My gyne was definitely skeptical about it too, but my doctor (who focuses on integrative medicine) was more open to the idea that there may be a connection...

Given that it was brought on for you just 7 months after IUD insertion though, I'd think it would be worth a shot! I imagine my body may still be trying to figure out what "back to normal" means since I had Mirena for almost the full 5 years. Is there a reason you went with Mirena vs Paragard? I'm thinking that may be the route to go when I'm ready to make my next birth control move.

Just for more background, my integrative doctor has run a slew of blood tests and ruled out autoimmune diseases (such as Sjogren's) but has noted that while my thyroid levels seem normal, I have a high antibody count (thyroid peroxidase antibodies) so now I'm on Armour thyroid because that could be contributing to the dry eye... I'll have a follow-up in a month to see how that's going.

The other thing she would really like me to try is acupuncture - so I've found someone for that - just have to pick up the phone and make my first appointment!

Elena please keep us posted on what you decide to do, and good luck!

Comment

Hello,

It's been almost a year since my original post, and I am surprised and happy to see some traffic on here!

I wanted to update you about my eyes post Mirena. I had my Mirena removed in June of 2009. Though, as I wrote above, my eyes almost immediately felt much better, I was by no means "cured".

Since then, bouts with serious dryness have happened, but seem to by cyclical, and definitely related to hormones. I will usually get a couple days to a week of bad dryness either right before or right after my period. My major problem is MGD, and it's bizarre to watch my lids swell up, and the oil secretions turn hard and opaque during these few days, then become clear again a few days later. The other side effects I experienced with Mirena (joint pain, night sweats, insomnia, acid reflux) also follow this cyclic pattern, and are slowly resolving.

I can honestly say, however, that every month gets better. During my last period I only had a half day noticible dryness. Just this last month I started wearing light eye makeup again, which I haven't done for 2 years! My eyelashes, which were very sparse and growing-in funny due to lid scarring, are growing back fuller, so it's harder to notice the ones that have grown out at odd angles.

And the BEST NEWS --- It's been almost 4 years since I started using Restasis as directed, twice a day. For the past 2 months I have lowered my dose to one drop once a day in each eye with no noticible difference in eye comfort. I do not want to be on this stuff forever, and my experience gives me hope that dry eye will not be a life sentence.

So please, be patient. Withdrawal and recovery from Mirena can take a long, long time. If hormone flux is what caused your dry eyes, you may have to wait awhile to see much of a difference.

Be well,

MCK

Comment

Mirena vs. ParaGard

Kellyno -

Sorry to hear you haven't had any improvement, though maybe since this is a month after your posting you've noticed some change.
                  I originally went with the Mirena over the ParaGard because I'm already prone to intense cramps, and couldn't stand the thought of exacerbating them. My best friend got the ParaGard about a year and a half ago and is now having it removed because of unmanageable mood swings and chronic fatigue. It seems there's no simple answer...every body is different and you never know how yours will react until you try.
                  I've had other symptoms that started suspiciously soon after I got the Mirena, so removing it is starting to sound better and better - if I do so, I'll definitely keep you all in the loop about whether it makes a difference or not. Please do the same - and I'd also love to know whether you find the acupuncture helps, as it's certainly helped me with other conditions.
                  Good luck!!

Comment

I think I know whats going on

Dear MCK,

I have been through the dry eye problems around and around just like you.
                    Though I am a guy you see but I have been doing some investigations and trying to figure out exactly what was causing this stuff.

I myself have been experiencing a lot if not exactly the same symptoms as you ie minus the female ones...but its almost been exactly the same

It does sound like your Dry eye problem is due to hormones.

I myself wonder if my dry eye problem has been due to hormones as well

You might want to get yourself checked out with an endocrinologist.
                    I wonder every day if I have thyroid problems due to an autoimmune disorder called Graves Disease.

Because you see if your thyroid is messed up, or something in the hypothalmus or brain...That would affect the hormones....and it would explain ALOT of your symptoms, just look up Graves disease I just did, explained everything...I too get that strange sensation of numbness and tingling in hands and feet...

I TOO have been tested for sjorgens syndrome and have been proven negative.

So sounds like are cases are similar...
                    Im gonna get checked with a endocrinologist to see if thats the case.
                    If not if like you were wondering yourself if it was caused by a yeast/fungi infection in the body...by my homeopathic doc...

so who knows...but they are both worth looking into.

Good luck, let me know what you find out, cuz your case sounds just like mine

sincerely goeyes!

Comment

Hello Everybody,

It's been 10 months since my last post, and I thought I would give another update.

It's been a little over 2 years since I had my Mirena IUD removed, and it has definitely proven to be the source of my dry eye troubles, along with a host of other health issues (please see prior posts for details).

I spent this year tapering off Restasis, and am pleased to say that I have been Restasis-free for 2 months, and prior to that, was tapering so slowly that the amount of medicine I was putting in my eyes daily was negligable for about 4 months. I still use artificial tears a couple times a day, and don't ever see myself being able to wear contacts again, but this is still the healthiest by corneas have been since the onset of my Dry Eye/MGD.

I had been using Restasis as prescribed since late 2006/early 2007 and never imagined I would be in a place to discontinue treatment. I am thrilled to be free from prescription medication!

Any women out there who are wondering if their Mirena IUD can lead to eye problems that range from irritating to serious, be advised that it can, and did for me. It has taken me about 2 years since removing my IUD to feel somewhat recovered, so don't expect to feel better instantly. Dry Eye is one of the worst things to ever happen to me, and I am grateful to finally have gotten some relief.

I wanted to keep this board posted up until a point in time when I thought I might feel like I didn't need it anymore. This will be my last post on Dry Eye Zone. Good luck everybody -- wishing you wellness, recovery, and a wonderful summer!

Comment

Hey everyone!

So I've read a ton of these posts, but this is my first time writing anything. I started having serious dry eye symptoms last September, about 7 months after putting in the Mirena. To clarify, I've always had some level of dry eye, but it didn't really start affecting my life until last September. I've always been able to wear contacts, and I had to stop, which has seriously impacted my quality of life.

I've been to so many ophthalmologists, many of whom tell me I have dry and and many who don't. I tried stopping the use of all of my anti-histamines and anti-depressants while simultaneously using artificial tears, blepharitis masks, lid scrubs, gel ointment, etc...

Nothing worked, and like MCK, I never thought my birth control could be the culprit, but it was the only thing still in my system! After removing it, I bleed a bit, but I don't think I've gotten a real period yet. I took out my IUD on the 13th, aka 7 days ago. It seems that everyone else's symptoms improved when the menstrual cycle regulated. Anyone have any idea how long this might take? I've only had the IUD in for a year and a half and I'm 22 years old.

Also, about 3 days ago, an ophthalmologist put in punctal plugs, and gave me restasis and lotemax. I was wondering, for those of you whose symptoms improved after IUD removal, if starting restasis is a smart move, or if I should wait 2-3 months and see if the mirena was my issue. I tried the restasis and the lotemax for a night and they both made my eyes burn excessively. My doctor says if I want to use these medications, I'm just going to have to power through the burning. :*(

So yea, how long did it take for everyone to start noticing improvement after taking out the birth control?

Thanks! It's so nice to actually post on this site haha.

Comment

Working...
                        X