X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL Success

Hi All -

I have had dry eyes since May 2008 and a contributing member of this forum since March 2009. My symptoms were soreness, redness, photophobia, burning, and blepharospasm. My discomfort was affecting my work and family life considerably.

After many failed consultations with CLUELESS doctors, I finally found a concerned and committed Optho, Dr Michael Gagnon, who diagnosed me with ocular rosacea and resultant MGD. At the same time as my eyes became bad, my Derm diagnosed me with perioral dermatitis which was later revised to rosacea. So I have both facial and ocular rosacea.

My derm initially put me on 100mg Doryx (special prep doxy) for three months which cleared up my perioral dermatitis and helped my dry eyes about 50%. I was later put on Oracea for maintenance (40mg doxy). My eyes were much better, but still by no means very livable. So I tried a month long course of Azasite which irritated my eyes considerably. I then was given Alrex to use as pulse therapy when things got bad. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. During this whole time I was compressing and eyelid scrubbing myself silly and drinking enough liquid fish oil (Nordic Naturals) that I began getting nose bleeds because my blood was so thin. I then tried Restasis for a month and again nothing. So I made an appointment to go see Dr Toyos in LA at the end of June.

After my first IPL in LA, my symptoms were significantly improved. Following my second treatment, my eyes felt the way they did before I developed dry eyes - normal. At this point, I discontinued Alrex and Restasis. I then went to Atlanta to receive my third treatment from Dr Toyos who was doing a training down there (at this point, Dr Toyos no longer practiced in LA and Atlanta is a non-stop from SF instead of a layover with Memphis so I jumped at the chance to get a freebie by doing a demo for Dr Toyos in Atlanta) At this training, after I got my treatment and everyone watched, I stood up (totally impulsively as I was not told that I would be speaking! If I had known I probably would have flown to Memphis) and talked a little bit about my experience. Dr Yee of Houston (inventor of autologous serum drops) came up to me after the training and said that I knew more about dry eye than 95% of eye doctors.

After my third treatment, I discontinued Oracea, eyelid scrubs and warm compressing. I received my fourth treatment in SF at another training for Dr Toyos and when the Dr's all looked at my eyes under the slit lamp, they were all skeptical because no one could believe that I had dry eyes or blepharitis. I know what my eyes, even unstained, looked like before I did this treatment as I have my records from several doctors - eyelid edema, lid margin vessels, lots of scurf. And this time I saw my eyelid margins projected onto a screen from the slit lamp. And they look great - clear, pale with a defined edge, clean lashes. After he did the treatment and did the extractions, then the Dr's all said "aha, there it is" because some of my glands excreted yellow and hardened meibum.

So in short, after 4 IPL treatments, I am not taking or doing anything with my eyes except taking fish oil. No antibiotic, eyedrops - prescription or OTC, no compresses, no eyelid scrubs, no moisture chamber glasses. And my eyes look and feel normal again. I took a 23 hour long flight to Europe and was fine. I spent one week in my in-laws ridiculously overheated and dry house in central Ohio over Thanksgiving and was fine. The only time I noticed my eyes acting up was for two days when I had to go to Denver for work. That place bothered me before I had "dry eyes" so who knows. In short, my life is back to normal in many ways and I cannot begin to tell you all how good I feel. I waited so long to post this because I wanted to make sure that the results were lasting. I received my first treatment at the end of June 2009 and my last treatment was at the end of October. So we will see how long I can go before I have to go back to be retreated.

Dr Toyos is continuing to train Dr's all over the country. At his trainings, I met some Dr's that really impressed me - Dr Yee of Houston and Dr Craig Fowler of UNC Chapel Hill. They were both very knowledgeable about and interested in dry eye. I know that Dr Yee is doing IPL and seeing great results.

As I have been feeling better, I have been coming here less and less. So for many of you still in the weeds out there, don't be too down. I think that many folks on here get to a better place and then move on and don't post any longer. So it skews the posts a little towards those that are still in a difficult place.

I also want to do a quick shout out to all my OR friends on here - Odydnas, AllisonW, Autumnn, AmyK, Sazy. I'm saying prayers for all of you ladies, and everyone on here.

And finally, thank you so much to Rebecca Petris. Without this site, I would have never heard about so many things that helped me and who knows where I would be. You really are a hero.

Warmest Regards,
    Gretchen

And warmest regards back to you Gretchen.

That's an encouraging story.

Comment

IPL treatment

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for posting your story. My understanding is, that IPL only treats the lower eye lids. Is this true? Also, did you ever consider MG probing?

I am currently considering both treatments but am leaning towards probing because most of my blocked glands are in the upper lids.

Pinky

Comment

Originally posted by Gretchen View Post

So in short, after 4 IPL treatments, I am not taking or doing anything with my eyes except taking fish oil. No antibiotic, eyedrops - prescription or OTC, no compresses, no eyelid scrubs, no moisture chamber glasses. And my eyes look and feel normal again....So we will see how long I can go before I have to go back to be retreated.
        That is a spectacular result. I am so happy for you.

I think one of the messages that comes across from the collective experience of this community loud and clear is the complexity of this (usually multifactorial) disease for each of us individually and how important it is that treatment(s) precisely match our needs. In those cases where all the factors on disease and treatment sides coincide just so, the results, as we've seen repeatedly in the Triumphs forums here, can really be remarkable. Not everyone can emulate or even hope to emulate that depending on their circumstances - for many, just reducing the impact of dry eye substantially is a sufficiently elusive - though thankfully achievable! - goal. But seeing that major turnarounds can and do happen is important to everyone here.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I'm very happy for you Gretchen! Thanks for posting the details.

Comment

Thanks for the post!

Did you get the chance to talk to Dr Toyos about IPL for those of us with lasik induced dry eye?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinky View Post
              Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for posting your story. My understanding is, that IPL only treats the lower eye lids. Is this true? Also, did you ever consider MG probing?

I am currently considering both treatments but am leaning towards probing because most of my blocked glands are in the upper lids.

Pinky
              Pinky -

He only applies the IPL wand to the lower lid, but sees improvement in the upper lids as well with the treatment. As for MG probing, I conceptually do not like the idea. It seems too likely to further compact deep hardened meibum and potentially scar the glands.

HTH,
              Gretchen

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
                Thanks for the post!

Did you get the chance to talk to Dr Toyos about IPL for those of us with lasik induced dry eye?
                Aaron -

I did not ask him. You may want to contact him. I would think that he has done post-Lasik folks as he has treated nearly 700 people with IPL so far.

Good Luck,
                Gretchen

Comment

This is wonderful news!! I am really happy for you to have found such dramatic and significant improvement through IPL. Thank you again for always answering my questions and going into detail about your IPL experience.

Comment

Congratualtions!

Congratualtions! I am very happy for you!!!!!! Thanks for keeping all of us informed!

Comment

Congrats gretchin.

I havent posted my experience of IPL, i will do that soon.

But basically my eyes improved only slightly... i had 4 and 1/2 treatments and the improvement from the second to the forth was not good enough for me to spend any more money.. it could be that because my eyes are so bad in the first place that i would have seen better improvement if i had done another 3 or 4 sessions.. but the improvement i had was not enough for me to think i would improve much more that was worth the cost.

Im still adamant that the inflammed inner eye lid blood vessels is causing the problem... it did not treat that at all! my eyes feel great when this inflammation goes away (when im ill) suggesting that this is the problem. So i discontinued the treatment.

On a more positive note however, i met my fiancé in los angeles, and i will be moving to the US in the near future to get married!!!! im so grateful i have met him, he is my sole mate. So something good came out of 5 years of hell at least.. i am however worried how i am going to cope without my family in the US with my eyes still as bad as they are, and how im going to support myself, as i find working hard due to my eyes. but im going to try because i honestly dont think there will ever be anything to help me, so i might as well do something with my life.

Im still going to peruse new treatments, but with i guess less money.
                      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Sazy -

I am so glad to hear from you - it has been awhile since you posted. It's wonderful that you have met someone and are coming across the pond. I am still very hopeful that you will find some help, Sazy. I have my fingers crossed for you.

I find the negative correlation with your eyes and whether you are sick or not to be compelling. If you do come to the US, you may want to look into going to see a Naturopathic Dr (ND or sometimes they are MD/ND) If you are going to be in SoCal there are many many there. I think that you need someone who can look at your situation integratively (holistically) and be able to think outside the box for you. I think that there may be some tie in with you IBS as well.

Warmest Regards,
                        Gretchen

Comment

Gretchen, I'm really glad for you! Those results sound fantastic and hopefully the maintenance IPL's will be months away. Thank you for encouraging me to do the IPL, I'll let you know how it goes after a few treatments.

Sazy, I know you've been posting for a long time, so I might have missed this, but have you tried a pain clinic. There's several amazing doctors in Los Angeles who I could refer you to. I think they'd be trying to eliminate the pain using an antidepressant drugs or a variety of other drugs. While neurontin was a complete bust for me, I've been prescribed ambien as a pain relief drug and it really helps me get through rough days, for right now.

Ive been told there are anti-depressants that target fibromyalgia, and could help with dry eye pain. But it's worth looking into to...

Gretchen's suggestion is well worth looking too, as well. Hope you make the move over the pond smoothly!

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post

On a more positive note however, i met my fiancé in los angeles, and i will be moving to the US in the near future to get married!!!! im so grateful i have met him, he is my sole mate. So something good came out of 5 years of hell at least.. i am however worried how i am going to cope without my family in the US with my eyes still as bad as they are, and how im going to support myself, as i find working hard due to my eyes. but im going to try because i honestly dont think there will ever be anything to help me, so i might as well do something with my life.

Im still going to peruse new treatments, but with i guess less money.
                            It's so good to hear from you Sazy; I did wonder what was happening to you (if you get what I mean...).

I'm sorry that the IPL wasn't a success but it was courageous of you to give it a go - and your reports back were very informative for us all. Thanks for doing that.

And what lovely news that you're getting married! He must be very special.

(Virtual hugs coming your way)

Comment

Sazy! It's been a while since you've posted and I've been wondering how you've been. I'm glad to hear that you've gotten a tiny bit better! Congrats on meeting your fiancee while in LA getting IPL treatments...at least coming to LA for IPL has given you some type of good result (altho not the eyes). I might be moving to LA in a year too!

Comment

Working...
                              X