This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has worked for decreasing inflammation and whiter sclera

For the past few days, I've been using a drop I made at home using raw honey and unisol 4 PF saline solution. It's approx 10% honey and rest saline.
    I keep it refrigerated and use it twice a day, 1 drop AM and 1 drop PM. It stings for a second and makes your eyes red, but it's very temporary (redness goes away after 30 sec). I've been doing it for about a week and have noticed my eyes are whiter than ever. Honey is antibacterial and has anti-inflammatory properties. I feel my eyes are improving again after a bad flare, but that could be due to multiple factors. For example, I started taking NAC and sea buckthorn oil supplements.

I decided to make this solution after reading the following study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17133045

what brand of honey do you use hosanna?

Comment

Hi Fitch,

The one I have right now is Stakich, its raw/unprocessed honey. It be great if someone decides to try and tell me if they notice the same thing, so that I know it's not just a coincidence. Thanks.

Comment

I find this preparation works extremely well for me. I use the cotton bud method and apply it along the lid margins: http://www.melcare.com/optimel.html

Comment

DCRdryeye I wanted to try Optimel but it's not available in the UK unfortunately. Not sure if it available in the US.

Comment

Lizlou, We are using Medihoney pretty successfully as a facewash (also used NHS as antibac for wounds). We rotate it with other antibacs and sensitive moisturiser facewashes like Body Shop tea tree foaming cleanser, and honey and beeswax products. (This is for child/teenage 'rosacea' with periorificial p&p including eyes.) Obviously we've been through the standard antibacs for skin and eyes but we're doing better on milder solutions.
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 22-Nov-2013, 05:55.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
              I find this preparation works extremely well for me. I use the cotton bud method and apply it along the lid margins: http://www.melcare.com/optimel.html
              DCRdryeye, Can you comment on if this product stings at all? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Hosanna,

If it stings, do you think it's safe? In reality, eyes turn red because histamines are reacted by the honey solution. Instead of honey I highly recommend food grade vitamin E oil (Nature's Bounty 30,000 IU). I apply this with an eye dropper 3 x day. This has given me a whiter sclera in addition to Taurine supplementation.

Also I found what suppresses the inflammatory response is Curcumin and Quercetin with Vitamin C supplementation.

Logan x

Comment

Hi Logan,

Thanks for your input. From what I've read re: honey on this forum, everyone finds that it stings temporarily, but finds some sort of relief. Honey's antimicrobial/anti-inflammatory properties have been noted for centuries, so a dilution can't hurt...that's my 2 cents.

Does dropping VitE sting at all? Doesn't it cloud your vision? I find that oils in my eyes clouds my vision and makes it hard to focus on objects. Thanks.

Comment

Hosanna,

Honey Stakich must be heated to liquefy?

I found this honey on iHerb. They send to Brazil. Not found Stakich. Do you think that is the same or similar? Thank you!

http://www.iherb.com/YS-Eco-Bee-Farm...oz-623-g/23698

Comment

Hi Andre,

Yes, I'd say they're similar products. Raw honey is the best kind of honey since it's not processed. I would not heat it up since that can damage the honey. It's harder than processed honey, but if you use a small spatula or spoon, it'll be fine. I use a 10% dilution with preservative free saline as an eyedrop.

Comment

I'll try this.
                        I'm trying to find the Unisol 4 PF saline solution to import. Or find something similar here in Brazil.

When you make the solution, use immediately or leave to go using a quantity over the days?
                        Another thing. How do you calculate this 10%? One gram of honey to 9 grams of solution?

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to understand to do right here!

Comment

No problem, it's not an exact science for me--I just have a small glass bottle with a dropper (15 mL) and visually fill 1/10th of the bottle with honey and the rest with saline. I only use it 2x a day, so it'll last me months. I refrigerate the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by hosanna13 View Post
                            Hi Logan,

Thanks for your input. From what I've read re: honey on this forum, everyone finds that it stings temporarily, but finds some sort of relief. Honey's antimicrobial/anti-inflammatory properties have been noted for centuries, so a dilution can't hurt...that's my 2 cents.

Does dropping VitE sting at all? Doesn't it cloud your vision? I find that oils in my eyes clouds my vision and makes it hard to focus on objects. Thanks.
                            Hi Hosanna,

Vit E the food grade kind from Natures Bounty does not sting at all. It just covers your eyes and feels nice, no blurring of vision. Vit E also has microbial properties and immediately quells down inflammatory responses and makes your eyes feel moisturised.

My rule is if it stings it's because something is in there that the eye doesn't like hence the red inflammatory response. Currently scientists are working on contact lenses that self secretes vitamin E into the eye. Your sclera is made of collagen and elastin fibers, just like your skin. You wouldn't put something on your skin that makes it red and stings right?

Logan x

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to pick up some Vit E next time. May I ask the cause of your DES if you know? Do you have MGD and/or ATD?

Comment

Working...
                              X