No announcement yet.

Has Restasis helped you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I coud not tolerate and tried it for a few weeks to see if I would adjust.

Comment

Lstel

I used restasis for about 6 months then quit and my dry eye gradually got worst so I have started back using it. It seems to help the burning sensation in my eyes but not the redness in the morning. Also use other drops besides. I can say that it is way over priced! Always open to any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        Please participate in this poll ONLY if you have taken Restasis for at least six consecutive weeks.
        we need one new 2013 restasis review please!!

Comment

When I first started using Restasis (maybe 8 years ago), I think it did help, but my tear film was still in good shape. As my tear film got worse and worse, Restasis seemed less effective. I finally quit using it about 6 months ago as it created so much inflammation it was more of a problem than a solution. I don't notice being any worse off for discontinuing Restasis, and believe I am now better without it.

Comment

Ladiva, I feel Restasis is doing the same thing to me, more redness and inflammation when it's used without a steriod. I'm going to continue using it at night maybe. The less I use it, the whiter my eyes...which is weird isn't it? I'm on week 14.. So frustrated!!!

Comment

I don't think it helped at all. My eyes were worse when I used it. I think I tried it 2x daily for close to two months.

Comment

Kate, did docs keep pushing you to "just try a few more months" lol I get this all the time. I like you are also trying sclerals soon, not from Boston so they may not be as good. But hey, I don't have the money for Boston so might as well try the ones made here...

I'm gunna start using Restasis at night only..see if things start to clear up a bit.. U using Steriods at all?

Comment

I have been on Restasis since January 16 (entering month four). I definitely feel it has helped me. It stung during the first couple of months, but as I improved, the sting-ing went away.

I will say I gave up the computer and most TV watching for two months when I started Restasis. Had I stayed on the computer during that time, doing my normal routine, I doubt I would have started to get better.

I HIGHLY recommend users give it at least six months. Just my 2¢.
                  32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Marty, what is the cause of your dry eye? I think it really depends what caused it. If its not MGD, I think Restasis should be a big help but that is my primary cause. Has Restasis caused any redness? It has caused my eyes to be at least 50 percent more red in the last three months. BUT it MAY have helped a tiny bit with pain but not enough to compensate for my side effects I am still experiencing after three whole months.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                      Marty, what is the cause of your dry eye? I think it really depends what caused it. If its not MGD, I think Restasis should be a big help but that is my primary cause. Has Restasis caused any redness? It has caused my eyes to be at least 50 percent more red in the last three months. BUT it MAY have helped a tiny bit with pain but not enough to compensate for my side effects I am still experiencing after three whole months.
                      The cause is personal... I had an eye injury and would rather not discuss the specifics. The three doctors I have seen also cannot pinpoint the exact cause of my problem (as in, scientifically, what caused me to start producing less tears as a result of the injury). If I was to guess, I would say decreased corneal sensitivity, an immediate onset of extreme inflammation, and possibly UV radiation. But again, I'm guessing and have no real idea of what happened to me...

...except that my problem is a lack of tears. I have only battled very mild MGD as a result of the ATD. I still do some warm compresses, but my glands look and feel fine.

Restasis only used to cause me some increased redness upon application. The redness would fade shortly after though.

My guess is that people with drier eyes will feel more pain when applying Restasis. This is my second flare up ever (and only on the second one did I start Restasis, back in January) and during this second episode Fresh Kote drops used to really sting my eyes and turn them very red in the beginning.

Back when I was dealing with this for the first time last summer, I wasn't as dry, and Fresh Kote application was no problem.

But I agree that it depends what is wrong with the patient. I personally think Restasis does exactly what it promises... reduces inflammation in order to restore the natural tear flow cycle. But whether or not the patient's eyes still have the capacity to produce tears is still the ultimate question though. If the lacrimal glands are busted, one could be out of luck.

However, I will say I thought in January that my left lacrimal gland was essentially gone, as it used to take a lot of effort to get tears out of my left eye even when I'd try to cry or yawn. Today though, I am double plugged in both eyes and seem to be producing more tears. It's sadly not perfect, but there has definitely been progress.

Hang in there Faith.
                      32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Faith- I tried sclerals with my local optho and had no luck. He only did two fittings. I could def feel them in and they made my eyes really red so im thinking the fit was off. Good luck with yours! Boston is going to cost me about 4k out of pocket, not including travel expenses but i am about to quit my job so i feel like if it works, its a great investment.

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed post. (Sorry I asked about your specific cause I didn't realize it was personal) My eyes are going through a real dry spell right now, and yes the Restasis burns more and causes redness right now. I have stopped before and was still in pain but my eyes looked a lot better. My doctor wanted me to go back on it so here I am. I am also using doxy, serum, AT, all four plugs, every vitamin to help, umm good diet. Trying sclerals soon, though I don't have high hopes.

Thank you for the reply. Let me know how you are ok?

Comment

Working...
                          X