Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It said to post here if you're a newbie, so here goes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh, I'm not even here a week and I'm in trouble already ...

The good news is I got to meet "The Almighty" by private message. That was kEwL. I always knew God was a man ...

And Phyll's telling the absolute truth ... she's been holding our reunion by the private messaging system. And now that I know that PMS stands for private messaging system and not something else, I too shall retire my "giddy reunion banter" there. Mary, did I read that right? Did you just call me "giddy"? Giddy??? ... LOL! And Mary is not "Gloomy" at all, but a delightful, insightful and dry eyed girl. You know I think there's a song in there somewhere. Country western, perhaps?

On a serious note, and unfortunately life is filled with too many of those, which is why you'll oftimes find me on another note entirely ... I have been looking around some more and this site rocks! Kudos to Rebecca and The Almighty and everyone else who put a hand in here to create this source of information and support.

And I'm not even saying that because of the ten hours of community service that The Almighty gave me for my breach of etiquette ... 'cause those don't start until tomorrow ...

Comment

Rebecca, our chat room at S.E. did not work out. I can't remember why but there was some problem and it was pulled. Some of the others might remember more about that. And it's probably good to get that input as well.

The thing is, a lot of us on S.E. had become more of a family than just an online group. And that chat room served as our "livingroom", a place for family to gather. And when a group like that becomes family a certain trust forms and that's when the support flows.

I couldn't sleep nights and I was fighting constant pain and I can honestly say these guys got me through many a night with their online banter. And sometimes only banter will do. You can read just so many scientific posts or so many stories so like your own before it starts adding to the problem instead of helping and you need an escape valve ... an ounce of hilarity ... a place to go where no one will judge you because they know you're just doing your best to hang in another night. That's the great part of a chat room ... it's a tool for support. We goofed around a lot but quite honestly, that's sometimes what a family does best. Does that mean that toes get stepped on. Most certainly. And just like any other family you just learn to deal with it.

The good thing about a chat room, however, is that unlike a bulletin board thread, if something is said that offends ... well, those words move up and off the screen and aren't on there for further and future public inspection; which is the drawback to a bulletin board thread. So, at least The Almighty can rest on the seventh day, so to speak ...

So, it's food for thought. But it's also a big step and you need a fair amount of people to participate or else someone goes into the room looking for someone to talk to and no one is there and then they stop going. Like I said, food for thought.

Comment

Chat room

Originally posted by Meledie Joy
        I always knew God was a man ...
        Heh. Reminds me of a quote from Bedazzled. Elizabeth Hurley plays the devil (i.e., "princess of darkness"), and Brendan Frasier plays the innocent shlub who's just made her acquaintance:

Elliot Richards: Can I ask you a question?
        The Devil: Sure you can! You can ask me anything you'd like, as long as you don't ask me if there's a God. I get that one all the time. Drives me absolutely bonkers.
        Elliot Richards: (looks sheepish)
        The Devil: (exasperated sigh) Yes, there's a God.
        Elliot Richards: Really? Well, what's He like?
        The Devil: You know, you'd think that meeting the Devil would be interesting enough, but no! All people want to know about is Him. Like He's so bloody fascinating!
        Elliot Richards: So He's a man?
        The Devil: (sigh) Yes, He's a man. Most men think they're God, this one just happens to be right.
        But if you want to know who really pulls the strings around here, take a look at this thread.

Uh, what was the topic again? . . . . . . Oh yeah, regarding a chat room, one problem we had with DryEyeChat was achieving critical mass. Rebecca and I constantly monitored the chat room and it would typically look like this:

1:04pm (MemberA signs in)
        1:04pm MemberA: Hello
        1:19pm (MemberA signs off)
        2:47pm (MemberB signs in)
        2:47pm MemberB: Hi.
        2:58pm (MemberB signs off)
        5:16pm (MemberC signs in)
        5:16pm MemberC: Hello, anyone here from Tulsa?

Etc.

Rebecca tried a couple scheduled chats, which worked okay, but in general, there didn't seem to be enough interest to justify the time and expense. But who knows -- with our member list growing every day, and SE alumni popping up here and there, it might be worth another try sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DEZadmin
          The Devil: (sigh) Yes, He's a man. Most men think they're God, this one just happens to be right.
          I'm sitting here, honest to God, chuckling to myself.

That's a good one, J. (I mean Sorta/Kinda Mighty ... )

I think I'm gonna like you.
          Last edited by MJ; 24-Feb-2007, 10:31. Reason: I got my deities mixed up ...

Comment

Hi

Meledie Joy!

Thank you Rebecca for letting me know one of my favorite of all time SE people resurfaced.

You know how there are some very influential people in your life. And that some people stay in your life and others are just there for season. Meledy Joy was there for my darkest season. And although it was only a season I was so touched by you.

I was always 100% certain that your pain was worse than mine—a lot worse. And I watched you cope without becoming angry and bitter. And you inspired me to try to do the same. Really, I can’t thank you enough.

And you make my kids those wonderful dolls (which they still have)! And you checked on me often and you inspired me by your faith and “virtually” you held my hand.

I’m good. Kids are good—although getting a lot bigger—2nd and 4th grade. I still do all the same stuff but moved into Administration (don’t hold that against me Mary!) so I do not teach that much. And I still wear the cool googles!

It is great to see your name and read your e-mail---really really great!

Cathy

Comment

"Into each life, some rain must fall." Yet we're never quite prepared for the blessings that grow so abundantly from that rain. One of the richest blessings that grew from the "LASIK rain" that fell into my life was Cathy.

Cathy, I just read your words and they brought tears to my eyes. Thank you! See, what you don't know is that you were my support. Out of all the people that ended up in my mailbox, so many took support, but you ended up giving it back to me ... and then some. Whenever I had a turn for the worse there always seemed to be an e-mail waiting from you in my mailbox. Even after I left S.E. you sent cards to my house and again they always arrived when I most needed them. And you brought me into the lives of your beautiful, little girls. I don't think you ever realized what a blessing you were in my life. Sometimes, the words "thank you" just don't say enough.

I'm so glad to see you again! I'll send you my e-mail ... you have to send me pictures of the girls! mj

Comment

Working...
              X