X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does High Pollen count make DE Worse?

Hiya

DE first visited me 12 months ago now (been told its evaporative). I have kept in under control quite well with Viscotears. Some days I do not need anything although this is not very often!.

I went to bed last night fine - not probs. Was woken at 2am with a very sore left eye, and tears rolling down my face. I put some more drops in, and went back to sleep ok. Then this morning pains have gone, eye was crusted up yellowy, and is very red today. Sooo attractive !

I was wondering whether the HIGH pollen count could have contributed?

Two of my colleagues who do not suffer with DE have both said they have woken this week with crusted itchy eyes. Now its a coincidence that I have too, as the over tearing has not happened to me since I was first diagnosed 12 months ago. Strange !

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    K

i have been told my many sufferes and a couple of health care providers that this is the worst allergy season they have ever seen....I am 36, never had allergies and now do in my post Lasik left eye.

When you woke up during the night is there any pain?

Bernadette

Comment

Hi

Yes I did wake up with pain. None last night tho,(no pain or tearing) and the redness is slowly disappearing, but still there.

HATE having red eyes. Feel like everyone is always staring at me

I am 36 too! and this only started with me this time last year - makes me wonder whether it is allergy related too! Although the specsavers guy checked inside/outside my eye last year and said NO to allergy, just evaporative Dry Eye. I also think mine is hormone related, as when its the time of the month, I feel loads better. Peculiar!

Comment

I think that seasonal allergies and a high pollen count can certainly affect dry eyes!

Whether or not this was the cause of your new symptoms...I cannot say. I usually end up figuring these things out after quite a while of just observing. For example, you might notice that you have these symptoms only during the same few weeks or month each year, and you could come to the conclusion that it's seasonal or allergy-related.

But my opinion is that it could be from the pollen, but you should keep an eye on it (no pun intended!).

Teri

Comment

I am allergic to various pollens, which cause extra tearing and mucins in my tears.

So a high pollen count does cause tear quality issues for me, which translates to dry eye.

Also, in times of high pollen, I am typically more vulnerable to conjunctivitis and eye infections. These also cause tear quality problems for me.

Lynne
          Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Smithy K,

When you say you wake up in the night I'm wondering if you could be having erosions...don't want to scare you or anything but erosions happen at night/upon waking. There is a seriously bad stabbing/ripping pain that can not be confused for anything else....please confirm your pain is not of this level.

B.

Comment

I totally agree with gz9gjg--extra mucous, redness, gunk.

Some pollen grains have really sharp points (microscopic shape) so there is mechanical irritation in addition to allergy. I try to rinse out my eyes with saline once a day during heavy pollen season.

Calli

Comment

Where I live, during the months of May and June there's a flourishing of spring seasonal pollens.
                I can tell because in addition to my own subjective symptoms, my car -- which I usually park outside -- starts to be covered with white or yellow powder.
                This pollen bloom has coincided for years with my development of especially itchy eyes and an extra-sneezy nose.

I now get through this yearly event through conscientious use of "Dr. Holly's drops."
                (And mwah, mwah, mwah, kisses to Dr. Holly, once I get my symptoms under control, I do find that the budding trees and flowers are lovely to look at! )

Comment

I use Dwelle and my allergies are still horrible. Are there any other of Dr. Holly's drops that help with seasonal allergies???
                  Jenny

Comment

I have been on the restasis for three months, and I take an extra drop and rub in into my lid margins and eye lids, hoping that it will absorb in and further reduce inflammation. Ironically, since being on the restasis, my allergies seem to be better than previous springs.

Melissa
                    pianolady

Comment

Erosions ! hope not.

I wouldnt say that the pain was intense - mainly just very sore. and it felt like it was coming from the top left of my eye ball and not the centre. does an erosion mean you are ripping the top surface off on wakening?? I know that this can cause scarring/damage to the cornea??

I must admit - sometimes I get cocky and think that I am ok, and I do not look after my eye health the way I should - like today for eg, I havent drank an ounce of water - forgot to bring it to work. Just tea and coffee which I know is bad! I did have an alcohol fueled night on saturday, accompanied by an Indian curry! and expected a backlash by today, but so far so good. I think half my problems are caused staring at a damn computer screen all day every day at work.

I havent had any further pain/tearing since that night and the reddness has died right down.

Should I make an appointment with an optician ? it has been 12 months since my last check up and they did say come back in 2 years.

Thanks

Comment

Hello

My dry eye seems to be worse May and June. It's evaporative dry eye too, which is a problem all year. I think pollen in the air this time of year adds to the irritation - perhaps its not an allergy - just the pollen would normally be wiped away by a healthy tear film.
                        regards.
                        Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Goodpoint, that may explain why I have"allergies" in my Lasik eye and not in the other one.

B.

Comment

Hi,
                            I believe it does ~ because my doc checked under my eyelids and I have tiny bumps caused by allergies. Allergies to what I don't know. It does irritate your eyes something terrible and makes them feel scratchy. I thought that was going to be my entire problem, but unfortunately DE is the main problem because you can clear up allergies with meds, but DE there is not a cure.

Comment

Dr Holly's drops?

Originally posted by mary kenny badami View Post
                              ... (And mwah, mwah, mwah, kisses to Dr. Holly, ...
                              can one get Dr Holly's drops in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                              X