This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCE sufferer... wondering bout some things

hi! it's my first post. i hope i am posting in the right place!
    my name is mickey, i am 31/female, i have been knowingly having RCE's for about 2 years now in my right eye (never my left). after no eye trauma, and before ever having an erosion or abrasion (to my knowledge), 4-5 years ago my eye started to become sensitive in certain situations, like when i would cry my eye would get very irritated, or sometimes it would spasm and weep for seemingly no reason at all and take hours to go back to normal (at the time i was unable to connect this to anything besides crying, and i am still not sure if i was experiencing extremely mild RCEs or if something else was going on???), slowly this symptom evolved into very clear and much more severe RCE stuff.
    i get them pretty rarely compared to some of the folks i have read about on this forum (who seem to suffer so much!! i am so sorry), but it seems to occur most frequently fall thru winter. i most frequently get them from having my eye bumped, or a speck of something seemingly insignificant getting in my eye, not usually upon waking up (although that did happen one time). i have had a couple corneal abrasions in between bouts of erosion (i am told a severe abrasion can cause erosions). i had been on oral doxycycline for 2 months, after which i experienced an external abrasion (my eye was bumped, and then the next day bumped again, causing the abrasion), and was kept on it for another 2 months (my last day of doxy is tomorrow!).
    currently i use the generic version of muro128 at bedtime, and use 2-3 drops of freshkote throughout the day. if my eyes feel dry i'll use the preservative free refresh optive drops (apparently the preservatives in many drops can eventually be toxic to your eye), but my eyes haven't felt dry since starting doxy so i don't use them much. i recently started taking fish oil again daily when i realized this is something i had stopped during the time i had been getting RCEs (not sure if this is purely psychosomatic, but since beginning the fish oil again my eye "feels" stronger and i have not gotten an RCE)
    my eye gets "bumped" so frequently because i participate in a full contact grappling martial art.... my eye would probably be fine if i didn't do this. when my eye "feels weak" i wear goggles (which are extremely annoying) which protects the eye a little bit (but can also cause the eye injury because sometimes they get mushed into my eye). i do not know if the spasming, redness, light sensitivity, blurry vision and tearing from the bump is a mild rce or not? i have discovered putting muro128 helps speed the recovery of this thing much, much quicker... which makes me think it is not an RCE since it doesn't burn horribly when i put the muro in.

anyway, i guess here are my questions:
    - has anyone experienced the extreme sensitivity to being bumped or slight pressure on the eye? rebecca the webmaster mentioned this is common with people who have recently gotten over an RCE... but it has been about two months now since my last one, and i still frequently experience this symptom. sometimes i will gently touch my closed eyelid to see how my eye is doing and it will become very upset at me for doing so!!! it just seems extreme....
    the doc calls this "grumpy eye", but surely there is a better explanation that that?

-how do you treat the above "grumpy eye" when it occurs? like i said, muro128 seems to help ease it quickly.. but does anyone else find something else that works?

-did anyone develop their RCEs from seemingly nowhere? like i've described in the 1st paragraph

-has anyone suffered RCE's again after going thru a full course of oral doxy?

-has anyone one attempted acupuncture to strengthen their eye? this is my most recent endeavor... i have gone one time! felt good! and nothing bad has come of it, at least :-)

-does anyone have this "strain" or "string" feeling in their eye when looking around (especially trying to look very far in one direction)? what is this feeling????? it is different then the "foreign object sensation". it comes and goes and seems to be related to nothing, but it is a good indicator my eye is weak. sometimes i will switch to erythromycin ointment for 1 night if this feeling occurs, or if it is happening in daytime i will put it in then.

also, not sure if it's relevant, but: i have 20/20 vision otherwise, no contacts or prescription... and i have lots of floaters.

anyway, not sure if these questions are even answerable... just wanted to reach out i guess.
    thanks everybody! and hope u are all doing well
    -mickey

Hi Mickey,

I'll start by saying that I have never had a corneal erosion. I'm not sure what could be causing the symptoms, but maybe consider goggles during sports for sure. Have you looked into serum drops? Those have been known to help symptoms for some.

Also, I think cold is your friend. I am a chronic eye "rubber." Bad, I know. Do you do this? There are times when I rub so hard, I end up with serious inflammation. The cold, applied immediately, can mitigate this somewhat. Or, when you feel the annoying itch, put that ice pack on immediately.

Comment

Working...
    X