This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graves Disease/Dry Eyes has affected my vision

I have Graves Disease and last Saturday at work I noticed my vision was blurred and I had double vision. I couldn't see to use the computer at work and when I got to my home computer the same thing happened. I had my appointment with the eye doctor today and he said my severe dry eye which comes from my Graves disease has caused me to lose some vision in my left eye and both eyes have double vision. He said if my thyroid levels ever start to balance out it should clear up then but i am like to heck with this whole mess! I am calling to make an appointment with the thyroid surgeon tpmorrow! i want this thyroid out. My endo had called last week because levels went way high and wants me to get rai or surgery anyways. 4 doctors have said having the thyroid out won't get rid of my Graves or dry eye but it will keep my vision from worsening and stop the hyperthyroidism so off to the surgen I go. I did however score a 3 in my left eye when it used to be zero not that it has helped me. Wish me luck on my upcoming thyroidectomy!

Izzy, my daughter had Graves Disease and had her thyroid taken out. She was in her early 20's and had not decided on having children, otherwise I think they might have done the Radiation Cocktail. A friend of mine had that done, but she already had 4 kids.

My daughter has done well and does have to take Synthyroid. If you have a good surgeon, the incision is done so that it's barely noticible and in a natural crease in your neck. This hyper-t is hard on your heart and whole body. It should be an easy surgery for you, we're hoping so anyhow.l
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

thanks Lucy, yes i hope it goes well and yes i have the heart palpatations so my endo called me in a few weeks ago as i had fallen dangerously low? then he called me in last week sayig way to high so the drugs don't seem to be working for me and he said its time to have radiation or surgery. I think is surgery best for me because 4 docs have said the cocktail will indeed make my dry eyes worse and i just can't take that. a any rate the thyroid will be gone along with all the other hyper thyroid symptoms and i could live with my dry eyes long as i know wont be losing any vision. but i am 51 and scared to death of any surgery.

Comment

This thread is timely for me so I am reading with great interest. Izzy - I'm in the opposite situation - my docs want me to have my thyroid removed and I don't! I sing (sang at President Ford's MI funeral) so am quite worried about the potentail damage to the vocal chords. I would much prefer that they let me take meds to diminish my enlarged multinodular goiter. I've been told that meds are not an option in my case though. (Praying it's not thyroid cancer.) I see the surgeon next month. Anyway...if my dry, red eyes show any improvement after surgery I guess that would be a blessing in disquise. {{HUGS}} to you and what you're going through. I can relate. Lucy - it's helpful/hopeful to hear that your daughter is doing well. Thanks!

Comment

thanks Alison good luck with your surgeon I go to mine this Thursday. my thyroid must have leveled out cause i can see with my glasses on the eye doc said that might happen but very scary. I also am worried about my vocal chords. i work in a call center and if i lose my voice I dont know what i will do. a friend of mine had her surgery today and she is just fine. so we will see.

Comment

Working...
          X