X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other health problems - related?

Hi all,

I've suffered from dry eyes, caused by MGD and blepharitis, to varying degrees for the last 5 years or so. And the more research and thinking I do, the more I am sure it is part of a wider health issue. In particular, I think it is caused by a toxicity / digestive problem of some sort. I also suffer from rosacea / seborrheic dermatitis, various digestive symptoms (the usual suspects) and, the last 9 months or so, chronic fatigue and general malaise. I feel quite strongly that my skin / eye issues are due to my terrible digestion - specifically that leaky gut syndrome leads to foreign particles entering my bloodstream, which the body then tries to get rid of by expelling them via the skin (sebaceous and meibomian glands) (as the liver and kidneys are so overworked). I feel sure at the very least that blepharitis and various facial skin conditions have a common cause.

So what I am interested in is who here has other health issues besides dry eye, and what those health issues are? Perhaps it would be useful if everyone first lists them generally in bold before going into more details, for ease of reference.

Thanks!

Hi

Just to LYK I sent you a private message - in case you hadn't noticed!

Comment

I was diagnosed with Gastritis yesterday. I've been having stomach issues for the past 2 years. I have DE/Bleph since 2007. I was also diagnosed with Rosacea last december. I'm pretty sure GI issues are responsible for DE/Blepharitis.

I'm tired of reading articles, I'm tired of figuring out what's going on with me, I'm tired of trying to find the underlying cause of this hell.
      I'm not a doctor, I'm not interested in health issues, medications, treatments, research, technical aspects of every disease. I'm tired of hearing the word chronic: chronic disease, chronic syndrome, chronic pain.

Everything is so complicated. You tell me how the hell are you going to fix these little bastards? Even the most absurd thing can ALTER them. Look, we are talking about a whole body approach. If we have GI issues/skin issues and they are CHRONIC conditions, then our MGs cannot be reestablished to their normal state since there's something constantly preventing them from working WELL.

Jesus Christ. We are in the XXI century. Blind can see again but doctors don't have a f****** clue about some stupid sebaceous glands.
      Last edited by cristiandryeyes; 31-Mar-2010, 11:36.

Comment

I have seen several Gastroenterologists over the years because I had hiatus hernia and am now developing a stomach ulcer.

Like everyone else here, I've seen Opthalmologists and suchlike too numerous to mention.

Out of curiosity, I have posed these questions to each party i.e. was there any connection between the two health issues. The answer has always been no - or if there is - they are not aware of it.

Genetic factors may have predisposed me to the stomach problems but I think that the additional stress & anxiety with my eyes have worsened things. My GP is inclined to agree but of course that's just opinion. And - I'm constantly tired but I know why that is.

Comment

Hey Cristian,

have you noticed you have a problem with carbohydrate foods? what GI symptoms do you have if you don't mind me asking? you can Private message me if you'd like. I'm interested to know more about this..as I agree completely. it's a malfunction in the GI tract. I believe it has to do with Carbohydrates in Particular.

anyone else who would like to share their GI complaints, so I can get an idea of the similarities we might all have, Please Just Private Message me..

Thanks,

Rhad

Comment

"...............I'm tired of reading articles, I'm tired of figuring out what's going on with me, I'm tired of trying to find the underlying cause of this hell.
            I'm not a doctor, I'm not interested in health issues, medications, treatments, research, technical aspects of every disease. I'm tired of hearing the word chronic: chronic disease, chronic syndrome, chronic pain.........."

Christian

We could be in a chorus.

The number of times I have said exactly the same - to the point of exhaustion.

Comment

Originally posted by cristiandryeyes View Post
              I've been diagnosed with Gastritis yesterday. I've been having stomach issues for the past 2 years. I have DE/Bleph since 2007. I was also diagnosed with Rosacea last december. I'm pretty sure GI issues are responsible for DE/Blepharitis.

I'm tired of reading articles, I'm tired of figuring out what's going on with me, I'm tired of trying to find the underlying cause of this hell.
              I'm not a doctor, I'm not interested in health issues, medications, treatments, research, technical aspects of every disease. I'm tired of hearing the word chronic: chronic disease, chronic syndrome, chronic pain.

Everything is so complicated. You tell me how the hell are you going to fix these little bastards? Even the most absurd thing can ALTER them. Look, we are talking about a whole body approach. If we have GI issues/skin issues and they are CHRONIC conditions, then our MGs cannot be reestablished to their normal state since there's something constantly preventing them from working WELL.

Jesus Christ. We are in the XXI century. Blind can see again but doctors don't have a f****** clue about some stupid sebaceous glands.
              i know the frustration. im tired of going to worthless doctors who throw random meds at me and run out the door and then hide from me around the corner (My last doc was actually hiding from me when he had to come back to front desk for something while I was paying my copay) Tired of explaining my eye problem to family/co workers or any last remnants of friends I have and they not understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by rhad View Post
                Hey Cristian,

have you noticed you have a problem with carbohydrate foods? what GI symptoms do you have if you don't mind me asking? you can Private message me if you'd like. I'm interested to know more about this..as I agree completely. it's a malfunction in the GI tract. I believe it has to do with Carbohydrates in Particular.

anyone else who would like to share their GI complaints, so I can get an idea of the similarities we might all have, Please Just Private Message me..

Thanks,

Rhad

For more than a year I used to feel bloating/gas/vomiting sensation after meals. The symptoms where mild and lasted for a few hours so I never gave it importance. Recently they got worse. Last week for no reason I had stomach pain for 4 days non stop. The pain subsided now. I think I have chronic gastritis and I was asymptomatic all this time.

About Carbohydrates, I eat pasta every day. I don't notice any difference between eating pasta and other foods.

Actually, they say it is ok to eat pasta if you have gastritis.

I didn't mention that I've noticed a dramatically increase of dandruff in the hair. The past few weeks it's been out of control.
                Last edited by cristiandryeyes; 31-Mar-2010, 11:38.

Comment

I have Sjogren's, but I believe my auto-immune problems (dry eyes and food intolerances) started after severe bacterial dysentery many years ago---might have been "leaky gut"----some of the bad stuff gets into the blood stream.

Some new approaches to the management of bloating, digestive issues, and IBS which you might want to Google: (there are entries on Wikipedia).

Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
                  Fructose Malabsorption

Fructose Malabsorption is not well known in the USA---more well known and researched in Australia. PM me if you want some links to articles. I seem to be doing better myself, since following FM dietary guidelines.

Calli

Comment

Me Me Me Me Me Me!!!!

GODDDD THATS MY CASE.

Ok days before i suddenly developed the eye problem I had a cold sore outbreak(never had those before), then the eye problem started and I had strange stomach problems (malabsorption), then after a life of flawless skin my forehead was covered in acne, I started getting many allergies, dandruff, a lot of hair loss, constipation, now i have a bit of seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea, in the exams they just said my urine was cloudy and I had a little high White blood cell count. No autoimmune diseases so far.

Im allergic to so many foods now is ridiculous, out of nowhere.. after the course of antibiotics my problems got worse, my stomach hurts a lot. =(

Criss, tu sabes que el accutane causa rosacea en muchas personas, y trata de verdad de bajarle a los carbohidratos que es lo peor para la inflamacion.

I dunno what to do?? I am underweight now cause of my restrictive diet, Ive been thinking of detoxing and then taking probiotics.

On a positive note I cant feel my eyes anymore =)

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
                      Christian, Moni, a lot of what you are describing I dealt with in the past. When my eye issues developed, I was having problems keeping food in my stomach, and when I ate, I had horrible stomach pain. I lost a lot of weight and I am slim as it is. Hair looked horrible and dry and my acne got worse. The reason for all of this is STRESS!!!! Stress takes a toll on us - with stress the ability to fight diseases become harder and you are more susceptible to getting sick and developing cold sores, allergies, acne, weight loss, food intolerance, upset stomach. I had a Doctor once tell me that there was no difference between a person who had leukemia and a stressed body.
                      OK so what can you do? I know it is easier said than done, but you have to reduce the stress.
                      Several months ago I was so focused on finding the cure, going from one doctor to another. Currently, I have resorted to doing what it takes to make myself comfortable and hopefully in the future something promising does develop.

I really admire you, I wish I could take things like you do, so mature. What is it that makes you confortable?

Comment

Stomach?

Ok I am jumping in where I can...I would love to know what you all think of this....after just reading about stomach things....the other night after dinner I threw up. This is not normal for me. It was just something I ate or drank. Anyway, for 2 hours after that I sat in my chair and watched TV with no goggles like I was a normal human being or something!! I was normal for 2 hours! What a reprieve! Anyway also read about a hernia ? Well about the time I got this eye mess I noticed I had a poked out belly button. I had just moved a deer stand by myself and it was heavy ....sorta had it coming I guess...been putting getting that off till I got somewhere on my eyes....Could they be related?

Comment

I too have just recovered from a 'flu like illness charecterized by acute abdominal pain (I have IBS ) and a high temperature This lasted 7 days meanwhile my eye felt great I am now well recovered and eyes are back to their old tricks
                          I cant figure why
                          I had to stop all perscription drugs and suppliments including omega 3 and flaxseed oil ---- and wonder if that could be it

Comment

OK Christian since you asked I am going to share with you what I do. First, I understand your frustration. Believe me, I was so angry at everybody who did not have eye problems. I detested all my doctors and found them useless. Some of them did not even have a clue!!! So I resorted to this forum and found ways to make ME comfortable enough to continue working full time.
                            First you have to have hope - then you have to realise that the solution is going to take time. I know what you are thinking, but I have been dealing with this long enough. You need to be patient.
                            After trying several lubricating drops, I found one that I like. You have to use the drops at frequent intervals whether you need them or not. So lets say, every 4 hours for the first few months and see if you improve. I like the oil based drops. I stay away from gels as they make my eyes drier. There are also some drops that actually burn my eyes even the Preservative free ones. You have to experiment. I stopped using drops for a while because I got so frustrated with them but in reality they help.
                            I know you don't have access to restasis and I can't really tell you if it even helps me or not but it may be worth it for you to try and get it compounded.
                            If warm compresses hurt you, have you tried using a wet wash cloth that is warm and not too hot and see if that helps?
                            Lastly, find a good doctor - it makes a world of difference.
                            Thank you for being so nice.

Comment

First, I understand your frustration. Believe me, I was so angry at everybody who did not have eye problems. I detested all my doctors and found them useless. Some of them did not even have a clue!!!

Lastly, find a good doctor - it makes a world of difference.
                              Chemia
                              Christian

I admit that I still have to work hard at not feeling resentful of people who don't have these problems.

And yes, I've met many an arrogant doctor who had a hand on the door knob ready to usher me out before I had the chance to open my mouth - let alone have my eyes examined.

Finding a doctor that you get on with does make a huge difference. The one I see at the moment doesn't have all the answers - but there is much more in the way of cooperation between us and that keeps me optimistic.

Yesterday was a terrible day (eye-wise) and it feels as though today could be too - so a trip to the gym is on the cards. Thankfully, the environment is cool, the staff are friendly and I can almost forget the discomfort of my eyes.

Hang on in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X