This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thyroid/Autoimmune Issues

I am asking alot of questions because no one can figure out why I am having unusual eye pain (not just the typical dry eye pain). I have Hashomotos thyroid disease and I am wondering if this could be the missing link. I have all of the other dry eye symptoms but this pain is BEHIND my eyeball and my eye feels swollen and sore. The pain starts on the upper left corner about 1/3 of the way up between the eyeball and the browbone and can be debilitating at times. Any ideas??

I've had that kind of pain many times and no clear answer from docs. But besides DES and Blepharitis, I do have a thyroid disorder, Glaucoma, allergies to chemicals (including most drops), Rosacea and a rare genetic disorder that affects blood vessels, was told dry eye can cause what feels like deep pain sometimes and have a still undiagnosed systemic disorder. Sorry I can't be more help.

Mary in VA

Comment

It could be thyroid-related. Thyroid Eye Disease is usually associated with hyper-thyroidism (Graves Disease) but it can also occur in hypothyroidism. Have you seen an ophthalmologist yet? They should be able to measure your eyes to see whether there is any sign of protopsis (swelling behind eye) which could account for the pain you are describing. Ask your GP for a test to see whether your thyroid antibodies (TPO) are elevated (taking a suppressive dose of thyroxine should suppress anti-bodies, but they can sometimes flare up or remain elevated even with hormone replacement).

The other possibility is that the pain may be sinus-related, and the pain is being 'referred' from the various sinus cavities to the eye area. I had symptoms very similar to what you are describing, also periorbital/lid oedema, which turned out to be due to a sinus infection and cleared quite rapidly with amoxycillin; I'm still awaiting a referral to ENT/CT scan to make sure there is nothing else wrong in the sinus area.

Comment

Working...
      X