X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venus Williams Diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...rens-syndrome/
    Last edited by Sammy B.; 01-Sep-2011, 08:01.

I'm so sorry this happened to her. Young for Sjogrens and she's apparently been struggling with it for years.

I hope you all watch that GMA interview. Really, really good. What a testimony though to the struggles over those years of non- and mis-diagnosis... a lot of people out there can relate. And I can imagine in the wake of this that people who see the news on TV will be flocking to their doctors for Sjogrens testing. This is probably the first time newscasters have ever had to learn how to pronounce it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the link. I posted it to my Facebook page. I feel terrible for her. At least now that she has a diagnosis, she can begin to deal with it and manage some of the symptoms. I have no doubt, given her personality, that she will become a strong advocate & symbol of light for others who are suffering.

Comment

Thank you for the links. I watched the interview and was impressed with how well the subject of Sjogrens was covered. I feel for her . . . Sjogrens sounds like it can present many challenges. I too hope that she will be a source of inspiration and advocacy for folks with Sjogrens.

Comment

As someone who was also just diagnosed this year with sjogrens it is good to have a high profile person (sad for her though) that might be able to bring some attention to this disease. For the most part it is an invisible illness, I hear all the time but you look healthy. While I too have had it for many years and went undiagnosed, it is finally good to put a name (tricky as it is to say, SHOW-GRINS is how it's pronounced) to my illness and to begin to deal with it so I can try to move forward. If I could give her one peice of advice, never get lasik eye surgery with this disease (we just don't heal).
          fiddle

Comment

I was diagnosed at age 21-didnt believe it... went on with my life feeling pretty good after getting over a year of fatigue.. it all hit rock bottom at age 32-2 root canals, salivary gland surgery and then the worst came within months-ext dry irritated burning eyes... that was over 4 adn 1/2 years ago.. it just shows its not just a middle age disease... again a Rheumy told me i had it from blood work at age 21.. since my eyes werent dry i didnt believe it.
            Jenny

Comment

Working...
            X