Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This article says artificial tears hurts the eyes...is this true?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This article says artificial tears hurts the eyes...is this true?

http://www.natoph.com/content.php?content.4

Dont know if their product works. Dont know too if they are saying what they are saying about artificial drops so that thier product will sell more. Waht does everyone think? If it is true, then plugs too can work against us. I am not familiar with their homeopathic ingredients.

It is the last pararaph which says:

Our philosophy on treating dry eye:
    Dry eye is a chronic condition expressed as the bodies inactivity in producing any or all of the different tear film components or in maintaining cell health on the corneal surface. We believe replacing fluids (artificial tears) allows the body to reduce its own moisturizing efforts and therefor is contrary to the healing process. NatO drops work in the opposite direction. They contain micro dilutions of ingredients which are known to cause dryness if ingested in large (toxic) doses. The body identifies the essence of these ingredients and responds as if they were actually present - that is by counteracting a perceived threat and increasing tear film production.

As they said:
    Originally posted by Vicki In Oregon
    Our philosophy on treating dry eye: ...
    That's what they believe, and like everyone they have a right to their opinion. Most eye doctors, the FDA, and of course the pharmaceutical industry believe otherwise, as do - probably - the majority of patients here who cannot get through the day without tear supplementation.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Exactly. We have no choice about it so I guess even if it was true, there is no point in worrying about it. I was just curious. I recall hearing how lip balms supposedly dry out lips more causing you to need it more than if you did not use it. But dry lips are not painful like dry eyes and I assume the same theory really does not apply. I wonder about their product and how well it works. My doctors said no to the homeopathic Similsan (forgot the spelling) and this one has homeopathic ingredients too. Not sure if it has preservatives though.

Comment

I take offense at this

Dry Lips are painful if they are like mine. No amount of lipstick, lip balm, vaseline, chapstick, or anything stops lips like mine from hurting. Yes hurting, because they crack vertically, horizontally, peel, and sometimes bleed from the cracking if I dare to smile. They burn and look as if they have been burned. I take good care of them as I do my eyes. But don't assume chapped lips aren't painful. Every bite I eat hurts.

Billye

Comment

I sympathize, SilverLady

SilverLady,

My dry lips are not as severe as yours, but I can attest to the fact that constant dry lips are VERY painful, they do crack and bleed, and nothing seems to help. I have had this condition for years, as does my father. I have been thinking about asking my doctor about the possibility of a diagnosis or testing for Sjoren's but I have been a little fearful to find out. I also know very little about it, but I know I have constant dry mouth and severely chapped lips year round. Mine also sometimes crack and bleed, especially in winter or dry indoor environment like shopping malls. I make my own lipgloss by mixing a little lipstick into a small jar with Vaseline and this helps more than anything else, but is not really a good solution. I recently had a sample of Sally Hansen Clear Apricot lip gloss that was applied with a brush on a wand that really felt good but I have been unable to find it in any store here now that I am out of it. I initially got it at Walgreens. Just wanted you to know someone cares.

CarolynYvonne

Comment

Maybe it's time

CarolynYvonne,
            Maybe it is time to have your doctor run a test for Sjogrens or to evaluate you for Sjogrens. If you have Sjogrens, there are medications that can slow down the progress and perhaps help you. The lipstick with vaseline is a good idea. I haven't been able to find anything I can use. Vaseline helps more than anything and lipsticks are too drying. Thanks for the hint.

Billye

Comment

I recall now when my lips were so dry they were peeling and bleeding. And for you it must be so much worse.

Sorry for my ignorant comment. I did not mean to offend any of you.

Comment

Accepted

Apology accepted Vicki,
                Just wanted you to know it could be worse. I know dry eyes are really bad (really I do), but add into it dry mouth, lungs, digestive tracts, the list goes on and on.

Billye

Comment

People dont understand my dry eyes and there is nothing I can do, they dont have to worry about their eyes working since they do work. The same goes for any medical problems but we are all at least in positions to have empathy for others no matter their particular problem since we deal with our own.

Have you checked out sjorgens support groups as well?

Comment

Thanks CarolynYvonne,
                    This thread has gotten off the dry eye subject. I don't think I should be discussing in detail how Sjogrens affects my life here unless it is a directly related subject that I feel would help someone else with diagnosis. I apologize to all for re-routing this discussion.

Billye

Comment

http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php

Comment

Billye hi

Originally posted by Silverlady View Post
                        Dry Lips are painful if they are like mine. No amount of lipstick, lip balm, vaseline, chapstick, or anything stops lips like mine from hurting. Yes hurting, because they crack vertically, horizontally, peel, and sometimes bleed from the cracking if I dare to smile. They burn and look as if they have been burned. I take good care of them as I do my eyes. But don't assume chapped lips aren't painful. Every bite I eat hurts.

Billye
                        I too have dry lips , but a product called Lip Medex which you can get over the counter has given me relief.

carol

Comment

Aquaphor Healing Ointment is good for dry lips

I have perpetual, but non-Sjogrens, dry lips. If you like Vaseline, you might want to try Eucerin's Aquaphor Healing Ointment. It has a texture similar to Vaseline, since it's 41% petrolatum, but it also contains mineral oil, ceresin, lanolin alcohol, panthenol, glycerin and bisabolol. I think the additional ingredients give it slightly better moisturizing properties and a little more staying power.

Comment

This is an interesting thread.
                            Coincidence maybe, but I also have what I call "chapped lips from hell."
                            I have spent almost as much time and money on lip balm as eye drops.
                            My chapped lips this year were worse than ever. They even seemed to spread out side the lip area, to my face.

Only one product really helped, Mojito by Escents.(You can get it online)
                            This really worked, and one day I was desperate and in such pain with my blepharitis and resulting painful lids, I had a crazy thought.
                            It really helped heal my cracked sore lips , I wonder if it could help my lids.

Well, I won't claim it healed them, but it soothed the pain tremendously.
                            I keep a tube around for my lips all the time.
                            Occasionally I still smear a dab on my lids.
                            It leaves a nice cooling sensation, but I found a product made by Neutrogena, Skin Soothing Eye Tints.
                            specifically made for the eyes, with a similar cooling effect.

My eyes are often inflamed and painful, but steroids are a mixed blessing treatment.
                            I wish someone would invent a Lid balm, like chap stick , but with pain relief and antiinflammatory .

Comment

Working...
                            X