This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You know, you should be taking ----"

I made sure I put this comment in the Sjogrens forum and not the dry eye forum--because I've had several incidents of this just recently. I've heard it a million times about the eyes, but this is more serious, dealing with autoimmune disease.

If we know little about dry eyes, it's even worse about autoimmune stuff. Not a week goes by without someone suggesting to me..."you need to take *******, or you should try ###### oil, this $$$$$$ will help your autoimmune, +++++ will give your autoimmune a boost, that's what you need."

I have finally decided that my answer to all comments (well meaning, but still wrong) is that "I will have to have my doctor's permission before I try that, and I'll run it by her the next time I have an appointment."

What people don't understand often is that our autoimmune system is on overdrive. Our system is destroying and attacking our own tissue. They want to have us "boost" our system. Also, tv has a lot of stuff to "boost your immune system." We are already boosted to the max for some unknown reason and our immune is out of control. There is not one supplement that I know of that will cure of fix us. If there is, please let me know by email and I'll run it by my doctors.

It's well knows that supplements can help certain things, or at the least, not cause undue harm. That's not necessarily the case with autoimmune disease.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Lucy

I can't imagine for a moment how difficult it is when you are dealing with an autoimmune disease as well as dry eyes.

I had an incident recently when I was wearing my glasses and someone suggested that "I should have laser surgery and I won't need to wear glasses ever again".

You can imagine my horror when they turned purple from the pressure exerted by my unrestrained hands placed firmly around their throat - just kidding.

When I finally regained my composure (and man that can be difficult sometimes), I explained to them that the reason I WAS wearing glasses is BECAUSE my laser shaped cornea will not allow me to wear contact lenses ever again.

I went on to explain the joys of living with Dry Eye Syndrome that RESULTED from the surgery they suggested.

It was at this point they turned green (nothing to do with me this time) apologised for the emotion it stirred in me, and declared that they certainly wouldn't be suggesting laser surgery to anyone else - ever!!!!

I guess they were just trying to help.

"Walk a day in my shoes then tell me what I should try" has become my standard response.

Cheers and have a great day

Ian

Comment

Working...
    X