X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low white blood cell count

Hello,

I recently had blood tests done to look for autoimmune issues. The ANA, SSA, SSB antibodies were negative. Everything else looked normal except my white blood cell count which was slightly low at 3.8. I don't recall ever having a low WBC before. Does anyone know if this can be related to an autoimmune issue? I am also on Restasis. I don't see that as being a side-effect, but I wonder if it could be.

Thanks
    dryeyes2

Low WBC probably not a side effect of Restasis

Several years ago, my doctor noticed I had a low WBC count. Since then, I've developed a severe case of dry eye, and now use Restasis. Just recently, I was diagnosed as having Sarcoidosis, a disease that can affect multiple organs, ie: eyes, lungs, heart, etc. Doctors don't know the exact cause of sarcoidosis, although they think it may occur when the immune system overreacts, ie: low WBC. Although we have a few ailments in common, it doesn't mean we both have Sarcoidosis. I just thought it might be worth mentioning to your doctor.

Comment

Hi

Hi Dan,

I read your other entries and I am sorry that you are having so many problems. It must be scary and frustrating.

My low WBC seems to have resolved itself. It seems very strange too because I had another test since my last post. That test was about 4 weeks ago and then had to have repeated about a week after that test. The first test showed the WBC had gone down more, and the following test showed that it was in the normal range. The only thing I started doing differently during that time was blocking the lacrimal drain for a few minutes after putting in Restasis. It seems curious that these two things happened coincidentally. I was told that WBC bounce around. It went from 3.1 to 5.5 in about 1 week.

I hope things improve for you.
      Best wishes,
      dryeyes2

Comment

For several months, my WBC count jumped up an down. However, in my case, it took a little over a year before it finally stabalized. Glad to hear your's is back in the normal range too. Still, I would be very surprised if this was a side effect of Restasis. Lots of luck with your Dry Eye.

Comment

Working...
        X