Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The drug for dry eyes/dry mouth (Salagen)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The drug for dry eyes/dry mouth (Salagen)

A couple of days ago I started taking Salagen even though it`s not fully confirmed that I have Sjögrens syndrome. In fact, it doesnt matter if I have it or not, me and my doctor both know I got dry eyes and mouth so I decided to give it a try. For anyone who doesnt know what Salagen is; it is a drug which increases your "fluid production".

It really helps with dry mouth and maybe a bit with my eyes too . I think I`ll use it for a month or so and then decide what to do... luckily I havent had any problems with side-effects yet (got to knock on wood!)

At least it`s VERY expensive like 130 $ for a months supply.

Another option is Evoxac, or cevimeline. It's side effect profile is supposed to be lower for some. Good luck with the Salagen! I hope it turns out that you don't have sjogrens.

Comment

I take Salagen and it's generic (which is required by my ins) is very INEXPENSIVE. I cannot compare the two because I've only used the generic. It doesn't help my eyes, but maybe being generic has something to do with that. Just mentioning for those who may want to try and not pay the BIG $$$.

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Well Ive used Salagen for a while now and it doesnt do miracles but it really helps with my mouth and to some extent with my eyes.

I should get information if there is any major problems with long term use...

Anyways, I really recommend trying this one if you have the possibility!

Comment

Different for everyone

I moderate the Sjogren's forum and I've seen several people posting who have experienced help with their dry eye by using Salagen or the generic of it. Myself included. It's not BIG relief but enough that I insist on taking it. It wouldn't hurt for a try to see if you were one of those that it helped. I noticed help within a week. And over a 2 year period, I see patterns. I sure know it helps my eyes to a certain extent.

Billye

Comment

I tried this some time ago now, I think it is also Philocarpine (not sure if that is a trade name or what).

It sure did increase fluid production I almost felt that I was drowning with saliva the whole time. I didn't notice much diifference wiith my eyes but my mouth was constantly salivating. It was a horrible feeling and I felt that I wanted to drink copious amounts of water as well.

I hope it works for you. I an not sure if my post here is relevant or not as I am not sure if it is the same drug but it rings a bell with me

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Yes, Ian..

You are right. It is the same drug. Pilocarpine is generic (and cheaper) for Salagen. It does create more moisture in the mouth, but obviously some of us need that moisture. I know Lucy and I do. (I think) But it is one of the side effects for the drug. Sweating happens too. Probably if you are doubtful about taking the drug, google it and see what the side effects are. It's a tradeoff for some folks.

Billye

Comment

Originally posted by syclone View Post
                A couple of days ago I started taking Salagen even though it`s not fully confirmed that I have Sjögrens syndrome. In fact, it doesnt matter if I have it or not, me and my doctor both know I got dry eyes and mouth so I decided to give it a try. For anyone who doesnt know what Salagen is; it is a drug which increases your "fluid production".

It really helps with dry mouth and maybe a bit with my eyes too . I think I`ll use it for a month or so and then decide what to do... luckily I havent had any problems with side-effects yet (got to knock on wood!)

At least it`s VERY expensive like 130 $ for a months supply.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted as to how you get on. I also have dry eyes and mouth but not confirmed sjogrens yet. I also have dry skin. Dry everything really!

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  I take Salagen and it's generic (which is required by my ins) is very INEXPENSIVE. I cannot compare the two because I've only used the generic. It doesn't help my eyes, but maybe being generic has something to do with that. Just mentioning for those who may want to try and not pay the BIG $$$.

Lucy
                  Lucy,

What's the name of the generic brand? I think I might start this!

Comment

A few questions about this:

1. How long does it take for the drug to work?
                    2. What side effects have people noticed?

If it works for dry mouth, I figure that it's worth the cost.

Comment

Salagen

here is a link with info on Salagen. http://www.medicinenet.com/pilocarpine/article.htm

Salagen is one of the brand names for pilocarpine. There are others.

Billye

Comment

salagen

Hi billye ,
                        I hadn't really seen this thread before , though I 've visited and posted on dry eye talk a number of times . Just before Thanksgiving , my eyes became extremely dry , and I found this site . Since then , my mouth also became dry , and I was diagnosed in January with Sjogren's . I am 53 and think I have had it for going on twenty years now , based on symptoms that my doctor treated me for ! I have learned a lot about dry eye from this site, and am so happy that it's here - and especially this thread . I also sent the link to my little sis , who also has dry eyes and dry mouth ...hasn't been tested for Sjogren's yet . Anyway , thanks for this thread and the info . I hope you are doing well . Nancy

Comment

Working...
                        X