This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor/Columnist deals with Sjogren's in today's paper

Dr. Paul G. Donohue is a syndicated columnist whom I very much respect.
    He writes a medical commentary carried daily by my local newspaper (Press Enterprise, Bloomsburg, PA, USA).

Today's headline for the column was: Immune attack leads to dry eyes, mouth

Today's question from a reader was: "DEAR DR. DONOHUE:
    Will you explain Sjogren's syndrome? I have been told I have it. I had a biopsy and blood work, and the results confirmed the diagnosis. I can't find a doctor to help me. — M.C."

Here are excerpts from Dr. Donohue's answer:
    "A: Dry eyes and dry mouth are the evil twins of Sjogren's (SHOW-grins) syndrome, which is brought on by an immune attack on the salivary and tear glands. Lymphocytes — one kind of white blood cells and an integral part of the immune system — march into salivary and tear glands and disrupt the production of tears and saliva. The result is dry, gritty, burning and possibly itchy eyes with a mouth so dry that swallowing and talking become most difficult. A dry mouth also promotes tooth decay. . . . Above all, contact the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation at 800-475-6473, or visit it on the Internet at www.sjogrens.org. The foundation will keep you abreast of new developments and provide you with information on this illness."

Thank you, Mary, for this info and keeping an eye out for the "Sjoggies" among us. Lucy on the way to fla.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
    X