X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hashimotos suspected..hmm

Hi all,

been a while since I've posted but would be interested in opinions on this. Having had mild\moderate dry eye inflamation with all the usual symptoms for 3 years now, I have recently been treated for sub clinical hypothyroid symptoms and am feeling much better, including 'some' improvement with my DES! I should also say that I was taking Dr Lange's formula at the same time, so I think that was helping too.

A respected opinion on my Thyroid lab results pointed to early Hashimotos, though thus far it has not been formally diagnosed by my GP. Could this be partly or wholly to blame for my DES? It seems the most common link is with Hyperthyroid, but in some cases there is a link with Thyroiditis as well it seems.

thanks
    Jamie
    Jamie

http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/conten...ract/44/5/2468
    Check out this 2003 study of patients with Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroiditis. The researchers found that lacrimal function was significantly impaired in all three layers of the tear film.

So yes, Hashimoto's thyroiditis can cause dry eye.

Keep getting your levels tested as Hashimoto's is a slow process. If you have too little thyroid hormone or too much, it can affect your eyes.

Comment

Thanks Scout. I can keep that in mind when I next visit my GP.

Jamie

Comment

I tested out with Hashimoto's since I was about 25 years old!!! I was "new" at the hospital and allowed access to one of the finest endocrinologists around and he was absolutely astonished at how high my thyroid auto anitbodies were. Wuth that said, I did not "need" correction until my late thirites. Yet I do have to wonder how much a role this played in my keratoconus (I have 2 transplants).
        BUT here is my question:
        Anyone prefer Armour to Synthoid (or any brand of synthetic)?

Comment

This is interesting because over this past year, I kept asking what was causing my eyes to get dryer and dryer and I finally just straight out asked my Endocrinologist could it be because of me having Hashimoto's? I asked because my primary care doctor kept insisting it was my thyroid without ever even doing labs.He knew I had Hashimoto's though so I think he just wanted to go with the thyroid theory instead of actually trying to find my real cause.Anyways she said NO! Not in anyway is it caused by your thyroid and said she's going to have a talk with my primary about this.

I really didn’t think it was caused by my thyroid because I had the Hashimoto's for 18 years and the dry eye thing started out of the blue years and years later. Finally I was able to get referred to a Rheumatologist who diagnosed me correctly and found the cause of my dry eyes. Mine are from Sjogren's and Fibromyalgia. But maybe some are caused by Hashimoto's?
          Last edited by Christie; 10-May-2009, 19:26.

Comment

Hi Christie-
            You might want to present this question to a sjogren's forum at
            [http://www.sjogrensworld.org]. It is a great Sjogren's board and several of the people on there have both Fibro and Hashimotos. I have no interest financially in that board. Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Lucy,

Thank you for the website. I will for sure go take a look.

Comment

Working...
              X