This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Dry Eye Zone - for helping me find the cause of my dry eye

I just wanted to thank Rebecca and everyone on Dry Eye Zone. I have been reading this site since August when my bloodshot eyes would not go away (felt fine at the time.) Fast forward to October and especially November when my eyes really started to hurt.

6 eye doctors later (including team at a university hospital) finally tested nd found low schirmers scores. After reading this site, I really felt something more was wrong than just ocular rosacea. Things did not add up. The doctors didn't seem to think anything of if.... some people just have dry eye, they say. But I am 33!

Primary Care... thinks I am a hypochondriac. Bloodwork is fine.
    Rheumatologist thinks it was my medications (which I had quit months earlier) Things still are not adding up, plus I am thirsty much of the time. I don't have "dry mouth" but I certainly am thirsty.

Fast forward to February and March, I push further. Dry Eye zone information urges us to find the source of the dry eye. Sjogren's is a leading cause, I read.

I have a lip biopsy earlier this month. Lip biopsy is positive for sjogren's. Though my bloodwork is negative.

I am sad that the medical community was so lax to my cries for help, but glad that I finally found my answer because I pushed so much. I have read that the average diagnosis time for sjogren's is 6 years! Thanks to this website, I finally have my diagnosis in 7 months. Now hopefully I will get the treatment needed to slow the progression.

I just want to stress how important it is to be your own health advocate. Don't give up. Question those doctors. Unfortunately doctors don't always see what is right in front of their face.

Thank you again, Dry Eye Zone. If it wasn't for you, I might be one of those 6 year diagnosis.

With much gratitude for what you do,
    Adrian

Adrian, I am really pleased to hear you've gotten a definitive answer - not sure 'pleased' is the right word when of course it's not a good answer, but there is so much value in the certainty as it makes such a difference to finding the right path forward.

I'm glad the website/community here had a role in your diagnostic progress but at the end of the day it's all about the advocacy you've done for yourself. Great job!! And thanks for posting about it!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Adrian-
      There is an excellent Sjogrens site and you may want to pay a visit. It's "Sjogrens World". Many cool people over there just as are on Dry Eye Zone. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
      X