This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link with Grave's disease?

I was simply wondering if anyone had info on Grave's disease and a possible link to dry eyes.

I suffer from hyperthyroidism, and I've read that it might affect the eyes as well.

Does anyone have info??? Greatly appreciated!

In Graves, the dry eye connection is exposure due to proptosis. When the eyes bulge outward slightly, it affects lid closure - if the lids don't completely seal down you get all the problems associated with exposure.

There are lot of these exposure types of dry eye - people with Bell's palsy, or incomplete lid closure after eyelid surgeries, etc. Sometimes surgical intervention can actually be pretty helpful.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca for your reply.

I do not think my eyes "protrude", but I have definitely noticed that my eyelids "sag" over my eyes (my eyelids appear swollen I guess would be another way to say it).

Would this be Graves'?

Comment

I developed Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism and tyroid eye disease) when I was 17, and it started overactive thyroid gland (and had to undergo surgery and remove most of the glands). Along with the hyperthyroidism came swelling over the eyes, and my eyes became gradually very protruding. I didn't suffer from dry eyes back then, but had a lot of discomfort due to the swelling, the exposure of the eyes (as I wasn't able to blink properly or keep my eyes totally closed at night) and I also had a lot of "goop" in my eyes in periods. I underwent decompression surgery and also a plastic surgery on one eye to get my eyes back to looking normal again.

5-6 years after the decompression my eyes were gradually getting drier. I got in touch in my eyedoctor, and he told me it was common that the composition of the tear film of patients with Grave's disease could get dissrupted. I've tried to find info about it on the net, but couldn't find anything specific about it.

I've also got rheumatoid arthrisis and allergies, so I assume my dry eyes are a mix of Grave's , reumatoid arthrisis and allergies.

Greetings, Toril
        Last edited by Toril; 13-May-2009, 13:03. Reason: Missing information.

Comment

I have read that Graves' can disrupt the tear film... but I don't have in depth information on it.

I know my eyes don't fully close at night, but I've had this since as long as I can remember. What else can cause incomplete lid closure during sleep?

Comment

hi dan

i was just told i had severe thyroid disorder and graves and the doctor told me i will just have to take medication for the rest of my life and she said it will clear up my dry eyes. i have to go for a thyroid scan 6/9 so i wont get the thyroid meds tl after that but i sure hope it works.

Comment

Dan, my eyes didnt protrude but i have only had dry eye for 5 months. so the doctor didnt think it was graves at first until my blood test showed i have a thyroid problem. hope this helps

Comment

I'm kinda sure the Graves' has something to do with my eyes. I started having thyroid problems following the birth of my second child (and having dry eyes too - which was just exacerbated by lasik) I take meds evey day. I have had to continue my meds even during this pregnancy... I am so hoping that hormones will balance things back to normal... I have heard this can happen!!!

Comment

Both my ophthalmologist and my endocrinologist explained to me that Graves disease can cause dry eyes even if the eyes are not visibly protruding.

Here is a good explanation:
                  http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/patient...s.disease.html

Comment

Working...
                  X