Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think there is an exact age when you get it. I had it at 17, i'm 24 now and it hasn't changed.

Comment

I have 90% of hypothyroid symptoms...but

Doctor tested thyroid and says no. But now I am really low on Vitamin D to add to the other symptoms I already have. Can you get a normal reading on the basic test and still have this problem...or maybe it comes and goes?

Comment

Seen dry eye linked to hypothyroid on various places

As I have researched my own issues, I have seen that hypothyroid can cause both dry eye, dry mouth, dry hair, brittle nails, etc.

Comment

A lot depends on what tests you have, and whether your doctor uses a wide or narrow "normal" reference range. There are other tests besides the TSH that can reveal more of what's going on, but I'm not knowledgeable too much about these---like T3,T4, Reverse T3-T4---etc. I've done some reading online about it, but that's it. Also, when the thyroid gland starts acting up, the values can fluctuate, like you said.

Strange, the low Vitamin D thing seems to go along with some autoimmune-type conditions---like I have---the Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Sjogren's Syndrome. I finally got my levels up---I take lots of extra D every day.

The Dryness Thing. God, I hate it. Besides the dry eyes, my finger nails have ugly ridges, and my skin can soak up a quart of lotion and still feel (and look dry).

Check out this site for more thyroid info: ThyroPhoenix. and this Yahoo Group here. You can post your lab figures and ask questions--it was really helpful to me when I first got diagnosed.

Calli

Comment

I've asked for a anti Thyroid antibody test (TPO-ab). Hopefully this will show whether my situation is auto immune or not, and help the diagnostic process.

Comment

Originally posted by hsum4 View Post
              Please let me know at what age most women develop Hypothyroidism? I am concerned about the age as it especially runs in my family.

Thank you
              hsum4
              I was diagnosed at age 24. I am now 30. It has gotten progressively worse over the last two years. I started at 25mcg, and now I am at 100mcg. My doctor has been testing me every three months.

Comment

Originally posted by jlg_uk View Post
                Title says it all really. Following a Thyriod function test, which was prompted by a low Schirmers score (3 and 5), I've been told this morning I have Hypothyroidism. Levels (normal range in brackets):

TSH 30 (0.5 - 5)
                T4 12.4 (10.3 - 24.5)

I'm now on Levothyroxine at 25mcg per day, and will be retested in 7 weeks.

For me the big question is - is this the cause of my DES? Seems very possible considering I've tried lots of treatments without sucess, and this condition can be associated with eye problems (although not as common as with Hyperthyriodism?). I've been reading the thread below and seems a number of people on here share my condition:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2882

Trying to have realistic expectations here - is it realistic that normalising my TSH and T4 will stop the worsening of my DES, even make it improve? Guess it will take quite a while to get on the right dosage of Levothyroxine, and then even longer to see how my body (and eyes) respond. A year?
                Jlg... that TSH number is through the roof! I would have thought with a number like that you would be feeling quite unwell?

I firmly believe that my DES (3 yrs) has been brought on by Hashimotos and the onset of subclinical Hypothyroidism. It's been a very long road to this conclusion, via GPs , Eye docs and so on. When I say subclinical, I mean that lab numbers are within theoretical ranges of 'normal' but symptoms said otherwise. This is the hardest kind for doctors to treat as most of them only look at your numbers. You only have to read some of the stories on thyroid boards to see how many people are symptomatic and not given the treatment they need because their labs are seemingly within a normal range. (euthyroid)

Do you know whether Thyroid antibodies were high in your case? As others have pointed out here, there is strong research suggesting Hashimoto's patients have impaired lacrimal function and tear film breakdown.

This may also be of interest to you -as it was to me recently! Thyroid Eye disease affects quite a few people with Graves (hyper) and a smaller percentage with Hypothyroid conditions. The onset of Eye issues can be a year or more before actual Thyroid symptoms become apparent - mostly, I think, due to the fact that Thyroid conditions are insidious by nature and can take months or years to develop to a level where it causes worsening of synptoms. This is how my condition developed. http://www.suite101.com/blog/daisyelaine/1074
                This article is an excellent read about Thyroid Eye Disease. Elaine moore also runs a great board for Graves patients and autoimmune issues in general.

It seems like you are on the right track with your medication and I would expect you will see some improvement in your DES once your Thyroid starts functioning optimally again.

Jamie
                Jamie

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jads.

I'd already seen the blog post you linked - did look interesting.

My TSH is pretty high isn't it. I've been looking on Thyroid forums and people have had higher scores, but it's probably the first proof I've had that something is systemically wrong since I developed DES. I don't have another test until early next month, which will be the first since I've started Thyroxine.

Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a possibility for me. I don't have obvious proptosis, but at the same time, I feel there may be more going on than AD and MGD. That said, without those being restored it's hard to know

Don't know my FT4, or FT3 levels - only TSH and T4. I'll see if I can convince my GP to permit those tests. I did ask for a TPO-ab (thyroid antibody) test - I get the results tomorrow.

Comment

Been to my GP today for test results. Most of the inflamatory markers were normal, however:

- rheumatoid factor was DETECTED 1/80
                    - Microsomal autoantibodies (Thyroid antibodies) was 1/102400

I'm having some joint/connective tissue pain hence the RF test. The Thyroid antibodies looks VERY high to me, but no reference range was provided. That in addition to my TSH of 30 suggests to me I have Hashimotos.

Additionally, SJS looks a distinct possibility. I've asked for an ANA test.

GP indicated once my TSH was within their normal range (0.5-5) they'd consider my thyroxine replacement amount fine. I indicated most people with hypothyroidism feel better with a TSH on <1 - she said I'd probably need to see an endo to fight for that.

Comment

Just to update this, my ANA test came back negative.

I've also seen a Rheumatologist who is separately testing my Anti-Ro (SSA), Anti-La (SSB) but I'm guessing if my ANA came back negative so will they?

After that it will be a salivary gland biopsy to make sure I don't have SJS (not looking forward to that procedure much).

Also a new TFT shows:

TSH: 19.4
                      FT4: 14.1

And I think the result above may have been FT4 and not T4 (the paperwork is a bit confusing on this).

I mentioned in a different post that my Ophth has indicated to me he thinks I have TED. I'm trying to get my anti Thyroid antibodies down by taking Selenium. No idea if any one this, including Thyroxine will actually help.

Comment

Ah just found out that my ENA (including Anti-Ro (SSA), Anti-La (SSB)) came back negative.

That means lip biopsy thing. I'm rubbish at stuff like that...

Comment

Hope the biopsy and healing goes well----at least you're ruling things out. Sjogren's is tricky, 'cause it sometimes doesn't show up in the bloodwork.

Once you get the thyroid regulated, I'm sure you'll start to feel better.

Best,

C

Comment

Working...
                          X