This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand this

How is there inflammatory t-cells in the eyes if you don't have sjogrens? I thought only autoimmune diseases cause your immune system to attack you, but since dry eyes is caused by inflimation, how can you get dry eyes without sjogrens?

I found some info on this in Dr. Latkany, MD's book The Dry Eye Remedy pp. 96-97 (abridged by me).

Here's a quote:

"Inflammation is one of those good news-bad news stories. The good news is that it is a normal process in which the body's white blood cells and chemicals respond to protect us against injury, infection, ...bacteria and viruses....

The bad news about inflammation, however, is that it can continue beyond its normal limits or become activated to no purpose....the response becomes worse than the stimulus that prompted it. Inflammation is now understood to be age-related as well, and ....[plays] a role in a number of diseases and age-related conditions. It is also now generally agreed that it is the ultimate cause of dry eye disorder.

....it seems clear that inflammation may be fueled by T-cells.... In the lacrimal glands, this T-cell-inspired inflammation clogs up the tear film glands and thus blocks the secretion of tear film.... [W]e do not know exactly how inflammation causes this cascade of clogging and blocking, but whatever the precise chain of events, the result is the death of cells on the eye surface and reduced quality and function in the tear film...

As for how the eye inflammation happens in the first place--how and why those T-cells get activated.....we're not sure, but any kind of immune response by the body could conceivably trigger it. That means that if you have rheumatoid arthritis or a thyroid condition or a bad cold, or if you had mononucleosis as a teenager, or if you have any sort of chronic condition--like an allergy---your eye may be a pathway for inflammation."

Sjogren's is complicated and is diagnosed not just by dry eyes, but also by other symptoms and by blood tests, lip biopsy, etc. It's good to consider it, but it's not the only reason you would have dry eyes.

Calli
    (Sjogren's and hypothyroid caused dry eyes)

Comment

Thank you so much for the response! Basically inflamation can be cause by any number of things. And the reason it's staying in the eye could be anything. Thank you!

Comment

I have one question though. In the article, it said they don't know how and why the t-cells get activated. Well, if they did, isn't that called an autoimune disease? Or has it not become a disease because it may go away?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know anything about T-cells except what I read on Wikipedia. Read the page here and see if it helps answer some questions.

If you think about it, the eye is extremely important and yet very vulnerable--not covered by tough skin so it has to have an extra measure of defense capabilities to protect itself. So you have the mechanical protection: deep in a bony eye socket, and a quick shutting lid response. The lashes sweep away small objects before they can enter, and the tears flow immediately to wash out particles as soon as they enter.

Then there are the more subtle protections. The lids spread tears, moisture and oils to keep the surface hydrated, oxygenated, and clean. Think of all the pollen, dust, smoke, etc. that you breathe into your nose and mouth---all this affects the eyes, too. So it stands to reason that these areas might have a greater ability to respond to "threats" via the immune system----they need more defense than a patch of skin on your arm, for example.

Since infection-fighting cells have some "memory" they can be easily activated. Any chronic unhealthy condition on the eye surface can be a trigger for the immune response. It doesn't necessarily mean it's an "auto-immune" disease.

The immune response (a good thing) can start attacking the body's own cells (auto-immune) if the body has lost it's ability to monitor and modulate the immune system for some reason. There are usually both genetic and environmental factors contributing to a "predisposition" to getting an auto-immune disease. These things are very complicated....

Calli

Comment

Well summarised Calli66

I agree, these things are not easily explained. This makes it so frustrating because we all seek explanations and causes.

Comment

so since dry eyes is almost always caused by inflimation (Immune system attacking it) wouldn't that mean everyone with dry eyes has an auto-immune disease? I know they don't but what's the difference I guess I'm asking.

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question. There IS a difference: one is normal immune system functioning, and the other is an the immune system working overtime.

Whether or not chronic inflammation can lead to an auto-immune disease is something I've often wondered. (In my own case), has chronic irritation and inflammation from wearing contact lenses for many years---has this been a "pathway"---a way for Sjogren's to develop? Of course, it's not a "cause" but is possibly a correlation. But I don't think there is scientific evidence for that.

Perhaps in the future more definite answers will be found to explain what causes auto-immune conditions. Still, it's worthwhile for us to examine our "lifestyles"----look at stress, diet, exercise, household chemicals.

Happy pondering....

C

Comment

Thank you so much for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X