This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corneal shields

I read about corneal shields at the Mayo Clinic website. they are used for dry eye. Anyone else heard of them?

guessing they are the same thing as sclerals?

Comment

Originally posted by cheryld View Post
      I read about corneal shields at the Mayo Clinic website. they are used for dry eye. Anyone else heard of them?
      Link please? or more info? I looked at their site and didn't see anything about corneal shields.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Found this on the Mayo website:

"Covering your eyes with a special contact lens
        People with severe dry eyes may opt for special contact lenses. These contact lenses help protect or shield the surface of your eye, trapping moisture close to your eye in order to relieve your dry eyes symptoms. Ask your eye doctor whether these special lenses, called bandage lenses or corneal shields, are an option for you."

It's in the article about dry eyes. Just search 'corneal shields" on the Mayo website.
        That is all it says, though.

Comment

Words mean something

In the surgical world a "corneal shield" is a plastic shield placed on the ocular surface to protect it when surgical procedures of the lids or other procedures not involving the globe itself are performed.

Sometimes a "corneal shield" refers to a collagen shield that is soaked in antibiotics and placed on the ocular surface post surgery to provide comfort and slow release of antibiotics.

In the clinic setting a "bandage contact lens" is used to cover a damaged cornea to protect it from the lids blinking over it.

I have never heard those terms used to refer to the scleral contacts for dry eyes.

My problem is I'm getting old and have been arounds eyes for a long time.

Comment

Working...
          X