X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Lens-Dry Eye connection?

Originally posted by DrG
    Also, I do not personally believe that wearing contact lenses leads to dry eye.
    You posted this in an answer to another message recently, and I would like you to expand on it.

I have used soft lenses off and on (mostly on) for 28 years (high myopia -8.00 D). I am now 57 years old--and the dry eye problem has been most severe for me in the last 2 years (Schirmer 2-3 mm, both eyes). I still wear contacts--have only one brand that works for me.

Because of various posts on this board recently, I became concerned that wearing contacts now, and also in the past, has sort of "deadened" the nerves of my eyes--resulting in a reduction of the "tear-making" signals. I wondered if I should quit wearing contacts for this reason. I am generally more comfortable IN contacts. My eyes feel more dry, irritated, and vulnerable without the contacts. My eye doctors say my eyes are otherwise healthy.

Thanks for doing this Q&A for us.
    C66

Calli, this latest post of mine here may answer your questions.

Contacts can have a therapeutic, bandage, or protective effect on the dry cornea.

With respect to deadening of the tear making signals, I have not observed this in clinical practice. Most patients who become intolerant to contact lenses simply discontinue contact lens wear and no longer have the symptoms associated with dry eye unless their dry eye is clinical...i.e. signs and symptoms.
    Last edited by DrG; 15-Jan-2007, 19:53. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
    X