This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2OPTIX Recall Questions

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions here.

I have a question about the O2OPTIX recall. I have moderate dry eye, and O2OPTIX are the only lenses among many I've tried that are quite comfortable. Not sure if you saw, but CIBA Vision is "voluntarily" recalling O2OPTIX sold around Sept 2006 - Dec 2006 (at the trade-level -- this is not a consumer recall) due to a "reduced ion permeability" issue.

Can you shed some light on the recall? Are the lenses currently already in consumer hands dangerous? I just looked at the lot numbers for my latest order (I was lucky to get some boxes given supply issues due to the recall), and all my new lenses are among those lots that were recalled!

For those of us who wear O2OPTIX, do you believe these recalled lenses are safe to wear, especially given our dry eye conditions? Or are we just out of luck until they fix the supply issues (CIBA Vision Web site says it may linger into the second quarter)?

Link to recall site: http://www.us.cibavision.com/lenses/...ormation.shtml

Link to detailed recall information sent to eye care professionals:
    http://www.us.cibavision.com/docs/recall_letter.pdf

I have only the same information you have posted regarding this recall. According to the letter, the affected lenses MAY cause discomfort and epithelial compromise. Given that many of the dry eye patients already have compromised epithelium, and therefore wouldn't want to expose themselves to additional discomfort, my advice would be NOT to use them. Personally, I haven't gotten any negative patient feedback yet.

I wouldn't term the situation "dangerous," since this is a voluntary trade-level action. If it was a dangerous situation, I would be having to track down and send letters to affected patients. Ironically, I have only begun to use the O2Optix lenses again after a long hiatus since the introduction of the Oasys, and therefore relatively few of my patients are affected. Yesterday I had to switch a brand new wearer into the Focus N&D -- complete with egg on my face -- after just extolling the virtues of the O2Optix.

If the Focus N&D doesn't work for you, there is also the Oasys and the Purevision. Apparently the launch of Coopervision's Biofinity lens is going very slowly.
    Last edited by DrG; 23-Jan-2007, 06:56. Reason: grammar

Comment

Thanks, Dr. G.

Minor follow-up question: is there anywhere I can go now to get O2Optix that might not have been recalled given the shortage of available lenses?

Thanks again!

Comment

I don't know of any source. I'll be meeting with my sales rep in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
        X