This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenses w/ .25 D power above -6.00 D?

I am one of those DE contact lens wears who doesn't do well in the sil-hy type lenses (I wear Extreme H2O).

My problem is that I need a slightly stronger lens for my R eye (I wear -7.00 in both eyes). A whole jump to -7.50 is way too much--tried that.

Can you tell me what brands have .25 D increments above -6.00---lenses similar to what I'm wearing (water content, etc.)?

Also, what is your opinion of Biomedics XC? I was thinking of trying that in a -7.00 for my R eye only (hoping the vision quality would be better than a -7.00 ExH2O).

Thanks,

C66

Calli,

You can get the Extreme H2O material from Gelflex laboratories in 0.25 increments all the way up to -10.00. They are available in a monthly disposable format. I highly recommend Gelflex. I love their custom toric lenses.

The Biomedics XC is a fine lens. It is a little thicker than the Proclear Compatibles of the same material. Hence, it better resists tearing. I just depends on how that lens feels on your eye. The eye is a much more sensitive instrument than anything we have.

Comment

Lens power availability

I e-mailed Gelflex and recvd this reply:
      Unfortunately, the details on the site are incorrect. Availability of the
      extreme H20 are as described (i.e., not available in .25D increments above 6D).
      Our apologies. The site is being updated to reflect the actual availability
      of these lenses.
      Lenses are available in a custom 3 month replacement form in a similar
      material as the H2O in any power required.
      Gelfex Laboratories
      Are you familiar with the 3-month "similar material" mentioned? My optometrist and I are both leary of a 3-month lens. The most I can get out of Extremes is 3 weeks.

Thanks,

C66

Comment

Gee, that's unfortunate. Perhaps you should look into a large RGP lens such as the Macrolens.

The "similar" material is probably the hioxifilcon B material, which has a lower water content of approximately 45%.

Comment

Follow-up on my lens search

Just wanted to say "thanks"---for mentioning the Biomedics XC. My eye doctor gave me one to try, and I've now been wearing it for 3 days, with no problems. And--best of all, it is giving me the better acuity that I need for my right eye--better than the -7.00 Extreme H2O. I am still wearing the Ext in my left eye, so now my vision seems much more balanced.

The Biomedics XC is even MORE comfortable than my Extreme H2O. I am so pleased to find another brand of lens that I can actually wear.

C66

Comment

Working...
          X