This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contacts question for DrG

Hi-I wear soft contacts--an Extreme H2O in the left, and a Biomedics XC in the right (both -7.00, but I prefer a slightly lower actual acuity for my L eye, which the Extreme lens gives me). I have very dry eyes, Schirmer 2, but my dry eye symptoms are mild (stable due to daily pampering).

My problem is this: my Extreme lens tends to dry out and "go opaque" right in the center in a sort of "crescent shape." It does this usually when I read or use the computer, and I assume I'm not blinking enough to keep it hydrated. I'm wondering if the lens is somehow too thin in the center, or is not conforming to my corneal surface well enough---thus leaving areas that are more prone to drying out. But this lens is not supposed to "dry out on the eye!" (The company's advertising slogan).

It doesn't feel irritating, but the opacity is very annoying because it clouds my vision. I do all the cleaning, conditioning, enzyming, disinfection with both my lenses--that I've always done. I've worn this brand since 2003, and this year is the first time I've had this problem.

I need to order more lenses soon, and go see my optometrist about this. I'm considering trying a different lens other than the Extreme. And there may have been a manufacturing defect, I guess.

I'm not hopeful about finding a lens that will work. I've tried almost everything out there. Haven't done well with the silicon hydrogels. I would love to hear your comments on this and any lens suggestions you might have. I am pretty determined to continue with contacts. I could use the Biomedics XC for both eyes, but I prefer a slightly lower power for my L eye, which I can only get by trying different lens designs till I find what works.

Thanks!

C66
    Last edited by calli66; 23-Jun-2007, 13:42.

I guess I am on quasi-sabbatical.

Hey, blurred vision is one of the more annoying things I can think of. I was going to suggest the obvious, which is to try a BMXC or a Proclear in the other eye instead of the Extreme H2O. It might be useful to know the (1) base curve, and (2) the center thickness of the Extreme H2O. It seems to me that the elastic modulus of that lens is rather high....i.e. it doesn't drape as well as the Proclear or BMXC. It the lens is too steep in the center, it will clear momentarily right after a blink and then go foggy.

Comment

Working...
    X