This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Erinlins

I just read your post. It shows a remarkable intellect and maturity on your part. In fact, I had logged on earlier to compose a response to you, but then decided against it. In that post, I had mentioned the genetic basis for dry eye, and that dry eye can occur in children and young adults. You must have ESP!

I, too, abused my eyes as a teenager in my attempts to wear the old hard lenses. In fact, I did far worse things to my eyes in order to wear them than you would ever consider doing. And yet, today, I can wear contact lenses without any problems whatsoever. I am in my late 50's and wear them from arising to bedtime.

As yet, there is no scientific link between contact lenses and permanent dry eye. The studies showing the decrease in corneal sensitivity also show that it is completely reversible within a few weeks or months. I have seen no studies demonstrating nerve damage from wearing contact lenses. Articles posted here have all been press releases from non-peer reviewed publications and internet webites. However, I would not recommend that any person with dry eye wear contact lenses because of the stresses the lenses put on the lacrimal system. The only exceptions are to protect and heal the cornea from damage and reduce pain.

I wish to add that there is no similarity whatsoever between the effects of LASIK and contact lenses on the cornea. LASIK cuts the nerves at the point of the flap, and then the laser ablates them. Confocal microscopy studies reveal that nerve morphology is unchanged with contact lens wear.

Therefore, in the instance of refractive surgery, corneal sensitivity is directly attributable to nerve damage. With contact lenses, the nerves are perfectly intact, but their reactivity seems temporarilly blunted. With contact lenses, full sensitivity returns within four months at the longest. With LASIK, full restoration of the nerve plexus may never occur.

These are very important differences that should not be glossed over.

Comment

Working...
    X