This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacts and dry eyes????

Ok. I had to stop wearing my soft contacts because my eyes got so dry and the lenses would just stick to my eyes! My sjogrens came into full force as well. Can someone explain how people are wearing contacts who have dry eyes? I know about the Scleral lenses but I mean the regular soft contacts? Wouldn't regular contacts dry your eyes out more and slow down the healing process as there would be less moisture on the eyes?

I appreciate any info!
    Thanks!
    Jenny

I struggled along to the bitter end wearing my soft contacts, but eventually gave it up last year---about 8 years after I should have given them up.

I think most people with severe dry eyes, who wear soft lenses, eventually come to that point---the exception looks like the Synergeyes wearers.

Soft contacts really were detrimental to my dry eyes. When they were in, my eyes seemed to feel better--at least the cornea wasn't exposed to air. I used to be able to get by with adding drops pretty often and wearing Panoptx. Then I got to the point where my eyes were so dry and making so much debris that the stuff would stick to the inside of the contacts. So I went along for another 4-5 months, taking out the lenses when they got cloudy, and reinserting them.

But after awhile even that didn't work. Then when I'd remove the contacts at night, my eyes felt awful.

I hate to admit it, but I almost think the contacts had some causal effect in directing the full force of my Sjogren's (that I didn't know about at the time) toward my eyes.

Calli

Comment

I gave my contacts up about 6 months before my DES was diagnosed. A real bummer. My doc said contacts are out of the question for me now.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

thanks!

thanks to the both of you! my doctor asked me after a few months of treatment (as i was doing better last year) if i had tried my contacts. i was like 'no way!'.. i dont have the desire as i think of my pore dry inflammed eyes -ouch.. ok.. thanks for the responses. here's to good health!
        Jenny

Comment

Contacts and dry eyes

My MD (Dr. L) describes it as a seran wrap being put over a puddle. The contacts keep the mositure on the cornea. That said it isn't for everybody.

Kim
          If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Working...
          X