X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible solution for all of us

ok .
    Imagine there was a contact lens you could put into your eyes in the morning that would take 24 hours to dissolve into pure liquid while sitting in your eyes.

Wouldn't that lead to a constant release of small amounts of liquid to keep the cornea healty?

Imagine like gelatine ... put it in water and after a while it melts completely .. something like that ...

has this ever been done ?

That sounds great Wolfie. I keep thinking there has to be an answer for us- I mean, come on, my friend has a doner retina and is doing great.

Comment

Wolfie: That is a fabulous innovative idea and it sounds like it could have legitimate possibility!

Autumn: I hear what you are saying about your friend's retina. I was just lamenting to my mother tonight how science is so amazingly advanced, fixing the most obscure eye surface diseases and fixing so many things... it is just so way way behind on dry eye disease and just can't get it. I have faith that there will be an answer at some point in our futures.

Comment

a contact len's size liquid and work for how long?
        it is evaporate problem...may be u need wear 1 for every 1/2 hour ^.^

I think pouring tear onto your eye whole day didn't fix "dry eye"
        western medical science only know dry eye is "dry", they don't really fix the problem!

Only solution is I heal back myself , get a normal people's eye, and can play computer games for 8 hours a day...hahaha, dreaming...

Comment

Lacrisert

I've never tried Lacrisert, but I think it is premised on Wolfie's idea of a sustained release of moisture over a period of time. Lacrisert is not a lens, but somehow it is supposed to release gradually, from a tiny source, perhaps a capsule. In any case, I think that a dissolving lens is a brilliant idea. . The sticking point, though, is getting the chemical composition and the physical properties of the released moisture to interact so perfectly with the ocular surface's several layers that the result is the equivalent of a tear that behaves normally.

If you have not tried Dr. Holly's product called Dwelle, this may be of great interest, because of all the products available, this one, and another few that are in the same family, are designed to affect the and supplement the abnormal tear chemically and physically in ways that for many do approximate normal tear function. Dwelle has dramatically changed the behavior of my tear film, which was previously nonexistent to severely rapid de-wetting (aka evaporation).
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

On a (sort of) related topic, there is a technology in development out there to use a contact lens device as a time-release thing for ocular medications. I think I was told once that it was unlikely to work for lubricating substances but I can't remember why.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Hi, Rojzen.

How did you make the switch exclusively to Dr Holly's drops? I am currently on Restasis (for 4 months) and have been using Dwelle for the past 10 days. I am not sure if I should stay on the Restasis. It does not appear to be helping. If I stay on it, will it hinder my healing from Dwelle.

Also, how long were you on Dwelle before you realized that it was really helping?

Thanks,
              Jennie

Comment

A woman in my Sjogren's Support Group uses Lacriserts and loves them. She said she tried them when they first come out, and that they are made by a different company now, and are much improved.

At the meeting I commented that a product like Lacriserts is probably best used by an "experienced dry eye person," you know, someone who has tried all the products, and who really wants to make it work. There is an applicator, and she said the key was to place the lacrisert in the "right place" of the lower lid, and not to touch or rub the eyes, which dislodges it.

www.lacrisert.com

C

Comment

I have tried Lacriserts twice. Once years ago and once in the past two years. While I think everything sensible is worth trying for those who want to try......Lacriserts may be on your list. They didn't help me. They didn't "melt" and just sat in my eye like a blob of jello and floated in my field of vision.

The last time I tried them, they burned my left and worst eye. Lucy

P.S. Because of the new company taking over Lacriserts, there has been a concerted advertising campaign in the past year or two to introduce Lacriserts to the public. They had fallen pretty much by the wayside before this company took over.
                  Last edited by Lucy; 03-Dec-2008, 23:44. Reason: P.S.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for the comment, Lucy.

That made me think that it would be helpful if the companies who market dry eye products were required to include some new data in their research/product development. And this data would be:

What variables (like the severity of dryness) correlate with each product's effectiveness. I don't know how to explain this very well, but I'm continually reminded that when the eyes are super dry, many products don't work as designed at all. Like your experience with Lacriserts---where there is simply not enough tear fluid for them to "melt" in.

C

Comment

I have hear from 1 doctor, for severe dry eye, near 0 tear, they have last method...

That's moving some saliva gland from you mouth to place in the eye...=.= Anyone heard that?

Comment

the old "spit in the eye" procedure ?
                        that sounds odd ...
                        probably only for people with severe dry eye

Comment

Next best thing for me is Synergeyes. They don't dissolve but they just trap the liquid on your eye for the day. Now and then I have to rewet them around noon, but that is rare. More often, I put them in and wear them for 15 minutes because my dry eyes absorb some of the liquid. Then after 15 minutes I take them out and heavily rewet them with a special solution that is designed to retain moisture for use with these contacts. They literally bathe my eye all day long and trap the liquid right next to the eye. They are heaven. I will probably never be able to wear just glasses for any length of time again because bare eyes are just too difficult for me, but these things give me almost complete comfort almost all the time. I would not want them to dissolve LOL!

Comment

but you have to wear contacts for to see better too ?
                            that's where my problem lies ... I've had LASIK done , so I don't really need contacts.

Comment

I don't see why they cannot make them uncorrected though!

Comment

Working...
                              X