This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacts after Lasik?

Does anybody know how long after lasik surgery its safe to wear contact lenses?

I know it would be different for every individual and that dry eye may be an issue, however I thought someone might have some experience with this.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Aaron

I was using a contact lens with zero prescription (as a bandage lens) after epi-lasek and it distorted my vision beyond belief.

When I questioned this with the surgery I was told that it is quite common as my corneas have been reshaped and therefore I am no longer suitable for soft contact lenses.

If I wanted vision correction, I would have to now wear glasses or investigate hard contact lenses (not an option with my laser induced dry eye condition).

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Aaron, normally RGP's (rigid gas permeable) are worn after refractive surgery, not soft lens. There are exceptions to this, but generally it's RGP's that work best if you need correction, help for dry eye etc after surgery.

I think six months is probably a time generally thought to be far enough from surgery to give rgp's a try. You can get more info re; contacts after surgery on the step-sister site of Dry Eye Zone at. www.Lasermyeye.org.......
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have to echo the other responses. I cannot wear contacts after Lasik, not even gas permeable one. It's either more Lasik or glasses for me. I'm scared of doing more Lasik as the first one gave me an astigmatism and dry eyes.

Comment

Hello Aaron,

I was given soft contact lenses to wear about 3 months after LASIK. You have to be very careful that lenses are well wetted before trying to remove them. If not, you can pull at the flap edge and that really, really hurts. If you can shift the lens position with a gentle nudge and no pain, then it is probably safe to remove it. If not, use wetting drops and wait a minute or so.

About 18 months after LASIK, I got custom RGPs. I waited until then because I wanted my corneas to heal and stabilize before I was ready to spend the money.

I have been wearing the WAVE RGPs very successfully since 2002. RGPs are generally better for the eyes. They have no water content, so they don't dry out; they allow much better oxygen transmission to the corneal surface; and they hold a pool of tears between the lens and the cornea, which increases comfort.

Good luck,

Lynne
          Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
            Hello Aaron,

I was given soft contact lenses to wear about 3 months after LASIK. You have to be very careful that lenses are well wetted before trying to remove them. If not, you can pull at the flap edge and that really, really hurts.
            Really ? and what happened ?? just the pain or did you need to have the flap removed and replaced ??

Comment

Working...
            X