Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant Wear Contacts Anymore... Lasik Choice???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres a laser clinic over the road from me, I could go for a free consultation, I'd consider surgery but would really regret it if my eyes got worse.

Comment

Yea that's what I'm afraid of. I wish I would have done PRK I think cause it is generally less drying and I think it uses up less corneal thickness or something. It is defenitely safer. But they make less money on it (grr). I woulda just payed him the extra money anyway lol.

Anyway if you are in a similar situation as me it will be a godsend but try to get him to get you in remission first and make sure he is like the best. If you want to come to florida mine was Dr. O'Brien at Bascom Palmer in Palm Beach.
      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Have you looked into ICLs, implantable contact lenses?

They have their own risks, but do not cut the nerves (like LASIK) and do not have the long healing time (like epi LASIK/ LASEK/ PRK), and are removable.

Comment

Was this post to me?

Hard to tell on this forum as nobody quotes..

Never heard of implantable contact lenses, what happens if they irritate, you just can't pluck them out.

I just read about sclerals which looks interesting.

Wearing glasses these days doesn't have the same stigma as it used to 20 years ago when people called you names like 'four eyes' or 'double glazing'

I prefer to wear contacts rather than glasses.

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
          Have you looked into ICLs, implantable contact lenses?

They have their own risks, but do not cut the nerves (like LASIK) and do not have the long healing time (like epi LASIK/ LASEK/ PRK), and are removable.

Comment

Hello mcrdot1,

We generally don't quote because it takes up lots of space . . . and replies generally address participants in the forum. Other forums have other customs.

I also prefer contacts to glasses, I have always felt I get better vision with contacts. Since I had LASIK in 4/2000, I have had to get custom zWAVE RGPs to deal with myopic regression, HOAs and loss of night vision - which glasses cannot correct.

Sclerals are very expensive and difficult to get fitted. I have read prices like $1500 USD per eye. Plus you have to buy the solutions and cleaners, which may cost $200 per year depending on the cleaning system recommended for the particular lenses. Finding a doctor who fits sclerals can be a challenge.

Many eye clinics in the US that do LASIK are now advertising Implantable Contact Lenses. They are inserted by cutting a small slit in the cornea, not in the visual field, and placed behind the iris. The natural lens is not removed. Cost is higher than LASIK, and there are risks, but the lens is removable and does not require cutting a flap.

Another option is called Clear Lens Extraction followed by multifocal Intra Ocular Lens implants; which is basically having cataract surgery before you have cataracts. This is also more expensive than LASIK, PRK, etc but healing time is very fast.

Lynne
            Phoenix, AZ

Comment

acuvue moist

Have you tried 1-Day Acuvue Moist? It is the only one i can wear for over 2 hours (up to 8 h), and the only one that doest irritate my eyes at all afterwards.

Comment

I've tried them, used them for a couple of years, not too bad, those and proclear 1 day are both ok for short periods.

TruEye were supposed to be the saviour for dry eye but possibly the worst i have come across.

Comment

Originally posted by mcrdot1 View Post
                  I've tried them, used them for a couple of years, not too bad, those and proclear 1 day are both ok for short periods.

TruEye were supposed to be the saviour for dry eye but possibly the worst i have come across.
                  Yes, i agree. I had perfect vision with them but after using them i had to be home from work two days after. TrueEye is a nightmare!

Comment

mcrdot,

I'm going to try sclerals before surgery. At least to see if they help with the symptoms of dry eye as well as the vision. I probably will have to have surgery at some point, my prescription is very, very high, I will reach a point (probably in the next ten years) where my vision won't be corrected with glasses anymore - at least glasses that I can wear - I already have problems with the weight on my nose, I have big red marks where they sit that don't go away. I guess I'm saying, we should avoid surgery but if we have to, we have to know what we are going in to. I agree ICLs are the best option for us.
                    just keep swimming...

Comment

ICLs

I was trying to figure out why I didn't do ICLs.

I remember now after doing a little research. Torics aren't yet approved and for some reason everytime I brought up the clear lense exchange doctors thought this was a bad idea for me. Including some good ones. So I figure there had to be a good reason for that. Probably because of the risks it takes and I don't know maybe having a synthetic lense is worse than the dryness that comes from lasik.

I don't think I am really any more dry than I was. Maybe a bit.

I know they can do the toric ICLs outside the US but it wouldn't suprise me if the procedure is done here as well.

Just some food for thought for anyone considering that route.
                      Last edited by clairvoyant; 22-Jun-2009, 21:23.
                      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                      X