Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASIK......why isn't this better known?

I don't understand why if so many are getting painful dry eyes from LASIK why they still allow them to do it, the LASIK I mean?
    Have all of you affected by LASIK reported it to the FDA website?
    I've never been so miserable in all my life thanks to LASIK. No wonder suicide is sometimes an option for sufferers.

I don't understand why if so many are getting painful dry eyes from LASIK why they still allow them to do it, the LASIK I mean?
    When excimer lasers were first approved for LASIK, the primary safety and efficacy criteria related pretty much exclusively to visual acuity and any serious complications that could affect vision. Everything else, including vision quality reduction and dry eye, was considered an adverse effect. Furthermore, the means of measuring these "adverse effects" was painfully inadequate and many practitioners and manufacturers utterly failed to meet their reporting obligations.

It was only after many, many years and a lot of unhappy patients that these adverse effects started rising just slightly further up on the radar screen. It took a long time before vision quality was even thought about in the FDA approval process.

This is the age of consumer medicine... wherein if a significant majority are happy with their outcome, and it's lucrative to the manufacturers, companies and physicians, well, it's going to go on no matter how much we in the minority squawk about it.

Originally posted by katkat View Post
    For those who have NOT done so, I encourage you to. Here's a link for more information and with a link to MedWatch.

I kind of collectively reported us 'in person' at the FDA public hearing in 2008. But the response has not been terribly encouraging.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I was at a doctors house for dinner last weekend, including the doc there were 5 of us there who had lasik. The doc who is now 60 said his eyes are terribly dry all the time and apparently he started wearing glasses again almost immediately after the surgery, his sister in law had it done 10yrs ago and had to use drops every hr for the first year, the daughter had it done 2yrs ago and needs glasses again, the nephew had it done a yr ago and thinks it worked out perfectly. Then there’s me I’ve been a total wreck for the past year as a result of lasik. So of 5 people only one has a story of complete success (for the moment), I think I was the only one that was completely disatisfied with the outcome but it shows that in this particular case there was only 1 in 5 completely happy. Lasik clinics are definately not giving the whole story to the patient or regulatory services, if they did they would not make much money. Unfortunetely money rules over honesty in the world we live in.

I reported my outcome to the FDA through the MEDWATCH website.
      Last edited by Aaron77; 15-Oct-2009, 14:39.

Comment

Arron,

Thanks so much for sharing the story. I have a college-age son who wears contacts and at times switches to his glasses. He has already mentioned lasik to me and I know I will hear it again. I am not a post-lasik sufferer but I have awful blepharitis and dry eye. I certainly would argue with him vehemently. You have provided added ammunition for that discussion.

MylittleM

Comment

Yeah, I don't know....it's amazing to me too. Not one single person warned me when I was talking about it. And I've mentioned this before -- my mother was even excited for me -- and she has bad dry eyes b/c of LASIK! I think it's all about perspective honestly. For my mom, she was just ectastic to have better vision (-8 prior). So she didn't even think to warn me about the dryness b/c it does not bother too much I guess. What?!?!? I'm not mad at her -- but I'm mad for not making the right connections.

Oh, and let's not forget that I took a course of Acutane like 17 years ago. I think that also has something to with my discomfort - but I was never asked about it. Grrrrrrrr.

I know so many people who had great outcomes, i feel like such an outsider. It really sucks. I basically lost all of 2008 to depression, pain, isolation, anxiety...you name it. I'm coming up on 2 years now and only now starting to notice better days more regularly.

I just don't get it either...LASIK is hands down the worst decision I have ever made in my life, and it's one that is not easily made right.

Hang in there, this site is a god-send.

~Laura

Comment

I've never been so miserable in all my life thanks to LASIK. No wonder suicide is sometimes an option for sufferers.
            Hi,

Here's a link to a very recent article published in the Associated Press called "Fda to Study Negative Effects of Lasik Eye Surgery"

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t..._R1SQD9BBQ6EO0

Comment

I've never been so miserable in all my life thanks to LASIK.
              I know... it's a tough slog getting through this dry eye thing...

I'm so grateful for this site though... at least we know we're not alone in this... plus lots of great ideas to try here!

Comment

thanks so much to those who replied.
                I too am miserable beyond belief most of the time.

Speaking of the FDA website and reports. A friend of mine sent me an article saying that the FDA did a investigation into bad affects of the LASIK and only 16 people reported negative outcomes. This is totally confusing and upsetting to me. Could this be true?

Comment

Just sharing wild thoughts that sometimes come to me...May be this is a bit far fetched, but I have always wondered if the cure for dry eye is discovered, would it be approved and available on the market? According to some, the cure is already discovered, and has been for some time...but it is not getting approved.

Since dry eye is considered by many doctors to be just an annoyance and nuisance, an incurable irritating condition, which is not life or sight threatening, and can be alleviated to some extent with palliative measures that cost a fortune for a lifetime-- industries will only lose if they do introduce the cure. Imagine all these dry eye products down the drain-- they do bring a huge profit I guess.

I have to admit regrettably that the pursuit of profit plays a large role in medical care nowadays. And this is very bad news for chronic diseases sufferers, be it dry eye, or any other life-long condition.

Comment

Ringo I suggested that doctors know full well the risk of LASIK is this painful dry eyes but proceed without making full disclosure before the surgery because of the money factor. OMG you would have thought I was a terrible person and I was told I should have looked into it more before the surgery. I did know that dry eyes was a risk, but what I didn't know that dry eyes was an extremely painful problem and I didn't know the high risk of it. I do believe with all my heart believe that the risk of dry eyes is UNDERSTATED. Looking at the eye aisle at the drug store tells me this is big business.
                    I am so angery when I think about this.

Originally posted by ringo View Post
                    Just sharing wild thoughts that sometimes come to me...May be this is a bit far fetched, but I have always wondered if the cure for dry eye is discovered, would it be approved and available on the market? According to some, the cure is already discovered, and has been for some time...but it is not getting approved.

Since dry eye is considered by many doctors to be just an annoyance and nuisance, an incurable irritating condition, which is not life or sight threatening, and can be alleviated to some extent with palliative measures that cost a fortune for a lifetime-- industries will only lose if they do introduce the cure. Imagine all these dry eye products down the drain-- they do bring a huge profit I guess.

I have to admit regrettably that the pursuit of profit plays a large role in medical care nowadays. And this is very bad news for chronic diseases sufferers, be it dry eye, or any other life-long condition.

Comment

Yes i completely agree, the risk of dry eye is totally understated, and on top of that like I said, the problem of dry eye itself is not understood, i mean, the pain and suffering it causes is soooo underestimated by non-sufferers.

Myself before the dry eye started would have never been able to imagine such a constant terrible pain and discomfort in the eyes; exacerbated by most environemtnal factors and daily activities. Now this is something that makes mere living close to impossible. This is a problem that affects mental health as well, besides making sufferers physically dysfunctional.

And yes, when I look at the endless aisle of products for dry eye in the pharmacy, I do think that this dry eye problem is a great thing to capitalize on, lifelong dependence on a myriad of expensive stuff that hardly helps people just cope. I am angry, and also really concerned that from the point of view of profit there is little motivation for providing a permanent cure.

Comment

Ringo I suggested that doctors know full well the risk of LASIK is this painful dry eyes but proceed without making full disclosure before the surgery because of the money factor. OMG you would have thought I was a terrible person and I was told I should have looked into it more before the surgery. I did know that dry eyes was a risk, but what I didn't know that dry eyes was an extremely painful problem and I didn't know the high risk of it. I do believe with all my heart believe that the risk of dry eyes is UNDERSTATED. Looking at the eye aisle at the drug store tells me this is big business.
                        Hi katkat-
                        When I had Lasik almost 10 years ago, this is exactly how my dr (and others) responded. Like it was never heard of before. Sure, and my dr was lying to me and moreover, he never warned me about the problem of dry eyes prior to the surgery. Years later, I confronted him with this and he lamely answered "we didn't know it back then." Well, it's still happening and some of us have been trying to warn others for 10 years and more.

About the dry eye drops at the drugstore, what a bunch of stuff. Hard to decide as each claims to be the best. About 7 years ago, some of the drops began telling the public they worked for "dry eye caused by Lasik." In other words, they heard us and got on the financial bandwagon and the drs still neglected to warn patients of the risk. It doesn't feel good to be on the short end of the Lasik stick. Lucy
                        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I understand this topic but if someone said to you I can fix your dry eye. You would think great I wont suffer anymore. I know I would be onboard. Then you find out there is a 20 percent chance of something going wrong? would you risk it to not have dry eyes? I would never have lasik but when it seems so tempting to get over something like vision problems it makes it so temptin. Right?

Comment

Katkat,

I don't know how long ago your lasik was. I understand your anger and I completely empathize with you having been there myself. You were wronged, so was I, we all were who were "sold" this risky surgery. The description "dry eye" sounds like no biggie, until you have it.

As part of the process of healing, I think you simply have to go through this outrage and even some bit of depression. If things get too out of hand for you in that regard, I would recommend seeking someone to help you deal with the emotional fallout after bad lasik.

What you are going through sucks, there are no 2 ways about it. But, I would like to offer you some hope here. I speak from experience when I tell you things can improve greatly. As I said, I don't know when you had your lasik but I had mine 3 years ago this month. I can't tell you the exact date cause I no longer remember. I just know it was in early October of 06. My eyes healed SOOOO slowly it was ridiculous. But they have and I believe still are healing. I am better today than I have ever been. I am very comfortable most of the time. Because of this site and the advice I received from these awesome people, I learned so many ways to cope with this condition and improve my comfort. I believe moisture chamber goggles/glasses are the #1 place to start. Especially in air conditioning. Also because of this site I learned I was not alone or a freak bad outcome as my doctor made me feel. Neither are you.

Research and be your own advocate for eye health and comfort. Find out what helps you feel better. You will find out what routine works for you and you will get better. And in time you will even let go of some of the outrage that you are feeling now. Peace will come.

LL

Comment

Well, I'm 9 months post-op and I just saw the Dr. the other day. I had a plug fall out so they went ahead and did another Shirmer test. I was a 2 and a 3, but she did say there was no dry spots on the corneas with the flourestien test. I still feel crappy but she said it was an improvement clinically speaking from 7 months ago. But, with four silicon plugs, I have puddling around both eyes during the day but they dry up in the late afternoon/early evening. I don't know it it is normal or not but without the plugs I would be done. Anyway, LASIK sucks, but I am still believing that I will heal someday as others have as well. Also, I did report on the Med Watch site. Amazing that the news report states that the FDA had only 145 reports of LASIK related problem? Go figure. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X