This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Emperor's New Clothes"

I have a theory. See what you guys think.

Recently, I have been questioning the people I know (and I know several) that have had LASIK surgery. I have been laying low with these folks cause for a while they were obviously annoyed with my prying questions about there surgeries. But at that time I was really looking for answers as to why I was left with very dry eyes and they did not seem to be bothered with the condition.

Anyway, I have brought up the subject again with a few of them and was actually able to get a few admissions from them. One co-worker admitted he now feels eye strain he did not have before. A lady I know also said that when the wind kicks up (she has a route that she works outside) her eyes are dry and red, then she quickly added, "but who wouldn't have dry eyes with weather like this?" That comment struck me as strange. Then it hit me: what if these lasik patients (and there were a couple more I talked to) for some reason do not want to admit their surgeries had less than perfect results? What could the reason be?

I recently read an article about people who bought products that later turned out to be less than useful to them. Some of these people had a hard time giving these items a negative rating not because they genuinely liked these items but because it was hard for them to admit to themselves that they were not prudent shoppers. At the time the article sounded like a bunch of psycho-babble. But what if this also pertained to Lasik surgery? It would explain why there are not more complaints about this surgery reported to the FDA and the doctors that do the surgery. Nobody wants to feel like a minority. Perhaps people minimize their discomfort, even to themselves, so as not to feel like some kind of anomaly.

I used the above title because if there is any merit to this theory it reminds me of that old children's tale.

Just some food for thought

oh, I totally agree.....I am one of them!!! I should know better by now, but I am still very embarrassed by my situation. I never talk to anyone unless they specifically ask. I mostly feel dumb b/c I risked this in the first place....so I don't want to feel worse in front of my friends and family.

So if and when I am asked, I definitely give short answers and try to change the subject. I'm a classic case I'm sure. Praying for more better days still though.

Comment

Originally posted by lboogie View Post
      oh, I totally agree.....I am one of them!!! I should know better by now, but I am still very embarrassed by my situation. I never talk to anyone unless they specifically ask. I mostly feel dumb b/c I risked this in the first place....
      Yup... I can totally relate to this as I feel exactly the same way.

I am slowly becoming more comfortable with being more blunt about it when asked now though... I'll now flat out tell people that my getting Lasik was the biggest mistake of my life...(but only if they ask me... )

Comment

I think it is like you said "lasiklady". I talked to a friend of mine and she always said she is so happy about her surgery, now she says she has a bit of a dryeyeproblem.... she did not want to admit it at frst and the doctor kept telling her it will goaway, and i told her i do not think so (i am such a positive friend... not). I guess she was used too a bit of dry eye cause she had contacts before. I have never had contacts so i do not think it is normal to have red dryeyes.

Comment

I think some of this can be attributable to perception. If you had heinously bad eyesight prior to LASIK, you may feel that some dryness is worth having 20/20 vision. Now someone who could basically see OK without glasses/contacts prior to having LASIK, who ends up with dry eyes afterwards, may feel more down on their luck since they didn't experience a bump in the "vision department."

Personalities are also at play too - if you are a perfectionist like me, you're going to notice dryness more than the next person and thus become obsessed with it.

Finally I also think that the degree of dryness is a factor. Mild is tolerable. It's not perfect, but it's not going to ruin your life. Moderate to severe is going to make you want to go postal at times. Then again everyone has their own perception of what their actual degree of dryness is.

...And I STILL have yet to meet another person face to face who has said negative things about their LASIK experience.

Comment

emperor's new clothes

I also absolutely agree with your theory, lasiklady, I have in the past felt a total freak as no one I talked to (who had had laser surgery) seemed to be suffering from any problems whatsoever.

I think I would have gone totally mad without this site to make me feel more normal. I also kept everything to myself, but now if anyones asks my opinion I tell them how I regret it and wished I had never had it done, but to be honest usually their eyes glaze over as they don't want to hear negative stories!!

Comment

Working...
            X