This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

I'm 6 months post lasik and suffering severe dry eyes. I don't know why my eyes always painful, especially when reading and using computer. I find other dry eye patients don't feel that painful. It's the pain caused by dry eyes or some kind of inflammation. Or maybe it's just because the laser cut isn't fully recovered?
    And I'm also wondering about whether I should drop out of university to take a break. I think studying is really difficult for me. But sometimes I also wonder whether a break can help. 6 months have passed and I've felt no improvements. Should I continue to hope for a recovery or just accept the fact that I'm going to suffer pain for the rest of my life when I'm just 18.
    By the way, I also have a question about Shirmner's Test. After the surgery my results are around 10, but now they're 1 and 3. Can the eyes become worse so fast?

Zhousu,

Please try to be patient. My eyes were changing for months after LASIK, and I actually started out with only mild dry eye after my surgery. I can tell you at two years post-op, they are still changing. You must not give up hope.

Have you tried punctal plugs? I believe they may be of help to you since your Schirmers test result is so low.

Also, regarding school, when you're staring at a computer screen or trying to read all day, your eye problem is going to become worse. I speak from experience. Is there a way you could take a break?

- Rose

Comment

Thanks

I have two plugs in my left eyes, but I think their uses are limited. I think the pain is really a problem. Do you feel continuous pain caused by dry eyes. And I think sometimes the pain prevented me from concentrating. Is the pain caused by dry eyes or by the lasik cut? Is it related to the nerve damage?

Comment

I didn't have LASIK but I'm often in bad dry eye pain. In this condition my whole eyes hurt. Its a big, broad ache, somethings the pain is not only in my eyes but also between my eyes. so its really possible that your pain is just caused by dry eyes. This must not be a nerve damage. But you shuld ask your doctor to be sure.
        Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Comment

Zhousu,

I experience pain on my worst days, yes. I believe this is dry eye pain. I have no idea if it's nerve damage.

I know some on this board have been helped by pain meds, so perhaps you could look into using something like that on your worst days?

Are you extremely stressed out? Do you sleep well enough?

- Rose

Comment

Thanks for replying

At present, I don't find sleeping difficult. But I think reading is the most serious problem. I can't read long. And computers are another big problem. I'm hardly afraid of light, which is the situation one of my friends faces. The only problem is the pain. I don't know if I have some kind of inflammation. I did the lasik half a year ago and I think I'm at the edge of suicide for the first last semester. Every time I took exams, however, I had great difficulty concentrating at first. But after a while, I began to get used to the pain, which was very strange. I don't know if that is good for my eyes. I mean, if my eyes don't feel that painful, is that a sign that I can read or take exams, or is it just because my attention is dragged to something else?
            I'm really hesitating about taking a break. I don't know if breaking and treating can make me feel better. Sometimes I just think that I will be like this for the rest of my life and I'm just 18. What's more, I'm really anxious about my future. Maybe I'll get worse. And maybe I can never function well in a certain position. Or maybe I can never find a job. I know that mood is related to the recovering, but I can't help myself...

Comment

Zhousu,

It is good that you can sleep as that is half of the battle with dry eye. Are you using night protection though - thick drops + a mask? That is a MUST. My situation improved DRAMATICALLY when I set up a nightly routine. For me this entails Systane Ultra and a mask before bed, then applications of Systane throughout the night. A lot of people have had success with GenTeal gel at night too (it's thicker than Systane).

Please do not fear the future. I think it is natural for us to think that if we get one bad side effect from LASIK we are destined to get them all, which is not the case. You are still very early out from the surgery and there is plenty of time for improvement. Worrying about when this improvement will come does you no good and in fact, I am a firm believer that anxiety worsens our symptoms.

It is up to you whether or not you should take a break from your studies. If you are going to beat yourself up for doing so, then don't take a break. But if you could take a semester off without feeling like you failed, then please do. It will not be considered a failure by any means. We all need breaks in life. We all go through tough times. It is OK to do so. We're humans, not robots.

You may also want to consider an anti-anxiety or depression medication before your suicidal thoughts get very strong. Many of us are taking things to help get us over the "hump."

- Rose

Comment

Is acupuncture useful for lasik related dry eyes?

Thanks.
                I want to ask if any one has ever heard about whether acupuncture can help the dry eyes caused by lasik?

Comment

Working...
                X