This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Surgery - Hazy, Dry and Blurry Vision. Need Some Help

I will try to make this short or will be here all day…

2004 - initial LASIK surgery both eyes. My right eye was perfect 20/15. The doctor screwed up my left eye - she misaligned flap and I have been trying to get it corrected ever since.

Since 2005 I have had three custom PRK surgeries on my eye, the latest was on June 24, 2010 by Dr. Donnenfeld in Garden City, NY. This year, after numerous surgeries and procedures to correct the screw-up, my eye was healthier than it has ever been and I was approved for what I said was going to be my last surgery; hence the reason for the June 2010 surgery.

I was told by both the Dr Donnenfeld (surgeon) and my eye doctor (Lindy Eye Care), that my vision will get worse before it gets better. I was aware of this having gone through so much over the last 6 years.

Several days after surgery I could actually see the clock across the room and the crawl on CNN for the first time in my life. I thought I was moving in the right direction. I have had two post-op visits with Lindy Eye Care since the surgery.

Lindy Eye Care told me to use the Pred Forte 4X per day for two weeks then decrease it two 2X per day for one more week. I was also on one other drop (can't remember the name) that I ended after a week or so.

When I use the Pre Forte my vision is clear for about 2 minutes then it gets hazy and blurry and stays that way for a few hours and I can’t take the blurry vision that it causes so I decided not to use it. I was also told to use Genteal or Blink as rewetting drops. I use them but it also causes blurriness.

It has been 16 days since my surgery and my vision is worse than it was before. There are times, after I blink, that I can see okay for about 30-45 seconds, but there is a constant haze that impedes me from seeing clearly. This haze is there 100% of the time. The only time that it seems to be better is later in the day (after 5pm or at night when I am in bed watching TV).

Before the surgery I was able to read a book or newspaper, now I cannot even do that. My eyes are always dry, this has NEVER happened before in ANY of the other surgeries so I have no idea why it has happened with this one.

I am completely confused, have no idea what is going on and bordering on depression. My quality of life has been dramatically affected for the worse and I have no clue what the hell is going on. How many surgeries can one eye take?

Here are my questions:

1. Anyone experience anything like this themselves?
    2. Will this haze ever leave? If so, when?
    3. Any idea as to how long the post-op healing process takes and when will I be able to see clearly?

Part II

Went to the eye doc on 7/15...

My eye is healthy and is healing properly. The striations (sp) are almost 100% gone but my eye is still healing. He wants to see me at least once per week for the next 6 weeks.

He is keeping me on Pred Forte 2x per day for the next 6 weeks.

He is aware of the haze but does not think it is corneal haze. He said that the Custom PRK surgery I had is very intrusive on the eye and dramatically shakes the eye which is the reason that there is a much longer recovery time for PRK then with traditional Lasik surgery.

He used a new machine that was able to show my eye/cornea via a 3D image which clearly showed that the surface where the surgery was performed, is indeed still in the healing process as compared to the rest of my eye. This was clearly demonstrated by the different colors that were apparent on the cornea versus other parts. He also said that my eye is healing from outer portion inward.

The mornings are still pretty bad (like looking through a cloud), as the day progresses it gets slight, emphasis on slightly better. Instead of a cloud it looks like I am seeing through Vaseline.

My next appt in 7/22

Any comments would be appreciated.

PRK is a very different procedure than LASIK. All of your epithelium cells, outer layer of cells on the cornea, are gone. The Oasis TEARS drops that Rebecca sells on this site promotes epithelial cell regrowth.

The recovery time is longer with this procedure. The results seem to be more stable over time as well.

Comment

can I get the Oasis drops over the conter?

Comment

if not, can u point me to the link where I can get them please

Comment

It took about 6 weeks before my PRK vision got really usable. Then got better and is at 20/15 both eyes now after 2 years.

Comment

Slider,
            They are available on this site in the Dry eye Shoppe or oasisitears.com

Comment

Working...
            X