This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any hope?

I had lasik done 10 months ago and I feel terrible. Every day is a struggle. I have plugs in the top and bottom and take 100 mg doxycycline a day. I put systane drops in at least 12 times a day. I can't function like this! I am so depressed about my eyes and I don't feel like they are getting better. I just can't imagine living like this the rest of my life...I am only 26 years old! Help please!

Hello,

I also have dry eye and am only 23 years old. I had a bad Visine addiction for four years (to my defense, I didn't know it was bad for you). When I moved in with my boyfriend, he told me his mother (who was a nurse) told him it could make you blind so to stop using it. Anyway, I stopped and all hell broke lose. My eyes inflammed right away and I do believe this caused the dryness. I am on an anti-inflammatory called Lotemax. It has helped me a great deal, and am starting to have hope again. Although this isn't a permanent solution, I'm hoping once the inflammation is gone, the dryness will get better. My next appointment is Tuesday, where I am going to ask my doctor about Restasis. I have heard bad things about this drug, but it works for some people, so who knows..it just may work for me to! Anyway, try different thearapies with your doctor, and something will work in time

Comment

Hi piot,

I feel your pain . . . am ten months post lasik myself. I understand the frustration and struggle that you are experiencing. I have read many posts here and have come to the conclusion that the dry eyes do improve. For some people it just takes longer than others. I find that when I relax my eyes feel much better . . . and I agree, it is not easy. It is easy to feel discouraged, yet you need to believe that this will pass and that your life will improve all around.

I suggest you see a really good opthalmologist. Get some baseline measurements for Shrimmers (test for aqueous defficiency), meibomian gland function (state of lipid secretions, plugged glands),corneal staining and TBUT. Investigate if there are any medications that could be contributing to the dryness (e.g. antidepressants). Look into dietary measures (e.g. fish oil, astaxanthin . . .). What happens when you go a little longer without using drops? How are your eyes at night? What kind of sensations to you experience (stinging, burning)?

Maybe you are sensitive to something in the eye drops? Have you tried other drops? Have you talked to your doctor about autogolous serum drops?

Go through this web site. Type in key words in the search box. You'll find lots of valuable information here. Keep sharing your experiences and asking questions. Your body is young and has lots of healing potential. It is healing as we speak, do not despair. If you are feeling down, find a way to pamper yourself: massage, hot baths, hot tea, mellow meditation CDs, manicure, pray (if that is a comfort to you), sing Getting your body moving is a good way to help your body and spirit get out of a depression.

Hopeful2

Comment

THanks so much for your reply. I am in the process of finding a new ophthalmologist. The doctor I have doesn't seem to really care b/c my post-op procedures are no charge to me. My eyes are terribly try at night. I tried the systane nighttime gel and use a humidifier but I have to wake up two times a night to put more gel in. I have tried using an eye mask but I haven't had any luck.

What have you found that helps you? Have you tried warm compresses?

Comment

hi! I use genteal gel at night along with some drops to thin it out. I wake up often, due to hot flashes and end up reapplying drops. I too find night time to be a challenge, but I do think it is getting better.

I limit my sugar and caffeine intake and take lots of supplements: fish oil, astaxanthin, vitamins D, A, E, C, B, lactoferrin, probiotics, magnesium. I also take a greens supplement and am learning to like green tea.

I tried doxy for a few months and did not notice much of a difference. Sometimes I find the warm compresses to be more irritating. Do you know if you sleep with your eyes slightly open? I would ask someone to check on you when you've been asleep for a bit. The quartz goggle ( for sale on DEZ) works really well to protect your eyes from ciruclating air and erosions due to face rubs in the pillow. You might want to cover your eyes with a bit of taped on saran wrap. This helps to keep moisture from evaporating.

Are you getting enough fluids? Does your mouth dry out as well? I know mine does, especially if I haven't had enough hydrating fluids during the day.

I still get burning off and on during the day, especially if I have had a coffee.

Comment

What is lactoferrin and astaxanthin? Do you find it at a supplement store or are they prescriptions? I would like to try them. Do you know what effect sugar has on dry eyes?

I am trying to drink more fluids during the day...before my surgery I never drank any water but now I am trying to drink more.
            I have plugs in both the top and bottom and most of the time I have to keep putting in thick drops then when the drops run out or evaporate, I dont think my eyes make any of their own tears except when I use the doxy. I can immediately tell the difference after I take a pill....I can feel my own tears.

Comment

Working...
            X