Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is that could be the beginning of dry eye syndrom ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that could be the beginning of dry eye syndrom ??

Hi every one .

I am writting my post from the country Turkey. I am a new member to this site and very happy to find out such a huge information source for such important disease.. It is so horrible and scary to read the posts and story of the patients for such a life destroyer disease. I wish all the patients as much as relief as soon as possible...

I had my intra lasik 2 years ago and had no any suffer of post operation dry eye syndrom . But 1 month ago , i started to feel some burning on my right eye and this causes frequent blinkink on me. After blinking i feel reliefe for a few seconds but then it starts burning again .. The burning feel increasing day by day and i feel burning much especially in the night times. I would like to ask if that could be the beginning of dry eye syndrom ? Is it possible to start having dry eye syndrom even after two years post lasik operation ?

Thanks for your help and advices in advance .
    Best Regards
    Yakup AKIN.

I have read that lasik dry eye for some reason returns at year 2 to 3 and then goes away after around 1 year. I would not believe this to be true but the same thing happend to me. Keep you eyes lubricated and things will clear with some time. In the mean time you might want your eye doctor to take a look and see if have something else going on..

Comment

I had LASIK 8 years ago, and had a touch of dry eye (hardly noticeable). I got hit with SEVERE dry eye about 2 months ago. I think if LASIK does not cause immediate dry eye post surgery, it is a catalyst for severe dry eye as you age (makes you more prone to getting severe dry eye later). I think I was OK for 8 years then I was under a lot of stress, my hormones were changing, my facial roscea was flairing up, etc. Lot's of things were going on but I think my eyes were "weaker" due to LASIK (meaning all my cornea nerves never regenerated properly, my blink rate is off, my tear film is off - all a result of LASIK).

So yes, I do think it is possible to get LASIK dry eye two years post LASIK. But you are lucky! You found this forum and have caught it early so there are many things you can do. I've seen a lot of doctors and most will tell you: Restasis, Plugs, Cautery. I am now using autologous serum drops and have lower plugs. For me personally, I think the serum drops offer you the greatest possibility to regenerate cornea nerves that were severed during LASIK, contributing to dry eye. Restatsis has a 15% success rate (rather low) and just work on "inflammation." Ideally, you want to regenerate nerves and the sooner the better - just my personal opinion.

Not sure if autologous serum drops are available in Turkey but here is a good study to reference: http://kenes.com/iser2012/abstractcd/pdf/O320.pdf

Comment

thanks for your advice Joseph.
        Last edited by yakup; 12-Sep-2012, 06:30.

Comment

hi cali. thanks to your comments. if this happens two years after post lasik , there are millions of people still under the risk of dry eye syndrom whom happy with their lasik results so far! this becomes very serious long term complication risk of lasik and trust there is no neither necessary patient information before the operation nor public announcment on it. on the other hand , do you think my eyes still need to regenerate the nurves even after two years? i think there should be some additional/other
          factor(s) to induce these dry eye symptoms besides nerves on the cornea after such a long time ?

Comment

Working...
          X