This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryness after Cataract Surgery & followup with YAG Laser

I had cataract surgery in Jan 2013 on left eye and then on right eye a month later Feb 2013. On both eyes, I had to have a followup YAG laser to remove growth of the secondary cataract, as they call it. On the right eye, I had to have a second YAG because there was a flap of cataract still "hiding" as it had folded back. My surgeon said that my evaporation rate was 3 seconds and that was very low. This was after everything was finished. I do not know what it was going into the surgery. They never expressed it as being a problem.

Now I have dry eye, and my vision up close is pretty good, but when I go into stores to shop, it is really bad. I feel this is due to the heavy AC.

I have not been able to find any evidence or even anecdotes about anyone who has suffered from dry eyes after "No stitch cataract surgery" and subsequent YAG laser followup for secondary cataract removal. I have no idea if this is a temporary or a permanent condition.

Wondering if anyone has come upon any eyedrops that are good for us folks with low evaporation rates? I have been using Soothe drops that have glycerine. I have tried also the MGD by Retaine. Does anyone know or suggest a good doctor in South Florida for treatment of this condition?

Thank you,
    Robin

Hi Robin,
    My situation is similar to yours. I started out having laser repairs on some retina tears in both of my eyes several years ago..about the time my dry eye issues started. I was OK and continued to wear my contacts until the dry eye became worse. At that time, I started to develop cataracts (high myopic) and decided to have IOL's in both eyes. After many complications and a YAG in my left eye my eyes are drier than ever.

I think it is a combination of issues and the laser/surgeries might "tip the scale" so to speak..and make the dry eye worse. I have ups and downs and have a pretty good routine that works for me. If you are interested let me know.

Comment

Dear AbbyGirl,

I most definitely would love to hear about what has worked for you since it appears that what we have is very similar.

Thank you,
      Robin

Comment

Hi Robin,
        First of all I am much better than I was when this all started for me!! I am very disciplined in my routine and have been very patient. So, hang in there..it will get better for you.

I use 3 different drops, all PF free. Refresh Sensitive, Optive and the thickest is Celluvisc. They come in individual vials. I use these as needed all day.

My morning routine is :drop before I get out of bed, warm washcloth to clean my lids, another drop and depending on if my lids are puffy I use a COLD compress. Before I put on my make-up I use a warm compress for afew minutes. This gets me ready for my day.

My evening is alittle more intensive because I have Glaucoma in my left eye. I start with cold compress, medication drop, wait 15 minutes then Refresh followed by warm compress. I also have Blepharitis so it is important for me to keep my lids clean.

Other tips: Onion Goggles!! Omega 3 supplements and punctual plugs.

Hope this helps!! Please ask any questions!

Comment

Dear AbbyGirl,
          Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help!
          --Robin

Comment

I I realize this post is much later than original posts but I had same problem with dry eye after cataract surgery

Comment

Hi, I had PRK laser after RLE 6 months ago. I never gave a thought to the fact that nerves would be destroyed at the same time as the cornea during PRK treatment, and so I patiently albeit frustratingly, put up with blurred vision, thinking it was simply a case of the cornea regenerating. Discovered this week that my nerves haven't regenerated. No wonder the tear and oil glands aren't doing their job - the resulting dry eye has had quite an impact on my life I'm sorry to say.
              If anyone has experienced this as well, I'd love to hear from you.
              I'd been using Optive drops about 3 x an hour. This hasn't prevented dry spot pitting on the cornea which is causing the blurriness I presume. Have just been prescribed acetylcysteine drops due to accumulation of fillaments on the cornea. They have certainly improved the sharpness. After a month I'll be trying cyclosporine drops.

Comment

I had 8 ipl treatments to help but so far I am improving but very slowly. I had no symptoms of dry eye before cataract surgery or at least I didn't experience any.

Comment

Working...
                X