Dry Eyes - Am I one? Considering LASIK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes - Am I one? Considering LASIK

Hi, I just browsed across this forum while researching information.

I'm due for a LASIK in early Sept 07.
    I never really knew that dry eyes were such a big pre-requisite check before the lasik.

i just thought thta dry eyes were just another one of my ailments, namely sensitive skin, itchy nose, mild thalasemia etc etc. I just 'soldiered on' with my life, i guess. been on spectacles since 10 years old.

but reading through a lot of these threads, i was shocked to learn that a person with dry eye syndrome should not undertake lasik.

my symptoms :
    - eyes feel tired after only an hour or so of computer work
    - eyes feel terribly dry and 'unable to breathe' when i waer contact lenses, so much so I rush home to take them off

funny thing is that these symptoms have only come up in the last few years. I used to wear contacts without problems in my high school.

haev read most of your stories - Diana's, Lucy's etc etc etc. shocked enough to postpone my lasik. but disappointed though, i've yearned for years to be free from spectacles.

Hi there. You have mild dry eye now, severe dry eye is a whole different ball game. You will be yearning for your glasses back if you undergo lasik and get severe dry eye.
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

fellow dry eye suffer once considering lasik

I have mild-moderate dry eye and was told by the doctors that I was a good canidate for lasik. Like you I could wear contacts for no problem up until a few months ago. However, many people on this forum could tolerate contacts perfectly fine and were miserable after lasik. Also, most that were contact lens intolerant had bad results. Hope this helps make ur decision a little easier.

Comment

Hi

Dry eyes really change ones life. Glasses are much more acceptable than dry eyes. Be careful with your decision.

Comment

Just say no!!!

I never thought I had dry eye but I could never tolerate contacts. Soft or gas permeable....
          I had Lasik in 2000 and 7 years later I STILL have severe dry eye. I'm probably better off than some on this site - but my "wind through my hair" days are gone.

My advice to anyone considering Lasik is "can you tolerate contacts? Can you wear them for more than 12 hours without irritation? If the answer is no - your answer to Lasik is NO!

Comment

Thank you to all those who have replied to my query.

After doing a lot of research and weighing the risks, I have stepped back and dumped my lasik surgery plans.

looks like it's a lifetime more of these spectacles (still hate all the problems with them), but then hey, the issues as highlighted by you all have helped me make my decision.

Thanks again. You all are truly appreciated.

Comment

a lifetime of spectacles

Originally posted by kwipex10
              looks like it's a lifetime more of these spectacles (still hate all the problems with them)
              Just wondered what sorts of problems you have with spectacles. I have worn contacts or glasses for 50 years, and have had some problems myself (high myopia, thick lenses, ugly frames, incorrect prescription, bad vision).

About 7 years ago I had a sort of "epiphany" about my vision and glasses---I suddenly came to accept them and started to actively participate in finding eye doctors that I could communicate with very well. That helped improve the quality of the exams, the prescriptions---and changed eye doctor experiences to positive.

I did the same with optical shops--I now seek out high quality frames and lenses--high tech (and expensive). As far as frames go---you don't need to limit yourself to just one pair of glasses. If you can afford it, get several pairs for different purposes. We all pay for good clothing, so why not glasses? That's the way I see it. And update frames styles every 2 years of so.

Interesting and beautiful glasses can increase your confidence, make you look "interesting" and more "intelligent" to people. You have to be open to using glasses as an accessory, not just a necessity.

Calli

Comment

i personally do not have lasik induced dry eye, but still have dry eye nonetheless so i feel like giving my 2 cents.... if you are already showing signs of mild dry eye and said you hate all the problems associated with wearing your glasses, then i would say don't get lasik. problems from wearing glasses are light years away from problems associated with severe dry eye.

would you rather take a couple minutes out of your day cleaning your glasses, putting in contacts, etc. or would you rather take up several hours of your day treating severe dry eye?

would you rather deal with having to wear glasses, but maintaining your mostly healthy eyes, or would you rather deal with no more glasses but eyes that burn, itch, and are tired, sore, red, and watery? it's up to you, but i would personally steer clear from the latter.

i realize this post may sound harsh, but it is only because i wish the best for you and your eyes. severe dry eye can be life affecting and is rarely "cured." it's great that you have realized some minor dry eye symptoms and are doing your research before hand though.
                -Amy

Comment

oops my apologies... i just reread your posts and noticed that you decided not to get lasik, so disregard what i just posted. i should have read closer! i'm really happy w/ your decision though!
                  -Amy

Comment

Working...
                  X