Lasik center is at it again:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik center is at it again:

Business must be bad so now they are offering "affordable" lasik with "easy payment plans". I am still on their mailing list and it's the first "bulk" mailing they have done in a year.

So I wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper in their market. I don't know if it will be published but here's the text. (I had a 250 word limit)

You may have come home recently to find a flyer in your mailbox offering "affordable Lasik" and "Easy payment plans for Lasik". I want to warn anyone considering investigating Lasik or thinking about calling for a screening to do intensive research about this procedure and the risks involved before you even call to set up your initial appointment.

Do not believe that just because a Lasik surgeon is an Ophthalmologist that patient welfare or true informed consent comes first. As a local ethicist recently wrote in an article for the American Academy of Ophthalmology: “Every doctor has a conflict of interest when they recommend any surgery" and for Lasik, that conflict is cash.

Over a year after my surgery, I am spending more than the yearly equivalent of eyeglasses or contacts on eye drops, prescriptions and doctor visits because I was a high risk patient but my Lasik surgeon decided that the risks were “reasonable” and therefore he felt no compunction to warn me about my higher risk status or let me decide if I was willing to take those risks. Of course, I was told that I was an “excellent” candidate.

I am not anti Lasik. In the hands of careful, ethical and responsible surgeons it can be a miracle for appropriate candidates. Get a second or even third opinion. Your eyes and eyesight are worth more than any financial incentives offered to get more prospective patients. Do not be fooled. Lasik is a Buyer Beware procedure.

I don't know if the paper will actually publish it but it's all I could think of to do.

Natalie

My lawyer will probably have a fit!!

Very well stated. I hope it gets published.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Natalie!
      The letter probably won't get published. If so, it will have many edits. However, you will not know if you don't try. I had two letters to the editor published in our paper early in my post-lasik career. They published the first without much editing, but the second was edited heavily. Probably because of the complaints from docs over my first letter!

Let us know what happens. Even if it doesn't get published, you can be sure it will raise eyebrows at the news desk for anyone reading the letter.

Way to go. (Maybe I'm wrong and the news folks do not suck up to the local medical docs in your town.)

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy

I was hoping you'd respond. I tried to keep it as generic as possible to try and prevent them from not publishing it but in Portland, Maine, the news folks suck up big time to the local MD's as I found out a few years ago when trying to tell women about alternatives to hysterectomy for fibroids. (There's a complimentary copy of the Portland paper in every hospital room at Maine's largest hospital?)

But my hometown paper will publish anything so if one doesn't work, then I will try the other.

And if it piques any interest, then so be it.

Natalie

PS I'll probably be in Vegas in February 08! Bummer!!

Comment

Natalie,

I may have to borrow your words and send it to my own paper!
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Good idea, Diana. Too bad for me, though, as I'm known as the bad-lasik lady around here. When I say hello to a long time photographer for the paper who lives in my area, I remind him who I am. He came to my house once to do photos for a story. He has been a news photographer for 50 years and was the most interesting people I've ever met! He is very well known in town. He is an old hippy with a "bald pony tail." LOL. Woodstock everyone.
            BL (before lasik)

The younger folks are wondering.......has she gone off the deep end forever?
            Peace.
            Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Diana!

Borrow away!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't seen anything yet and really don't expect them to publish it.

Back to work today and staring at Excel spreadsheets...

At least the heat isn't on yet.

I'll keep you all posted if I have any luck.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
              X