Dry eye testing pre lasik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye testing pre lasik

I have often wondered, what kind of "dry eye testing" does the surgeon usually do pre surgery? My surgeon did no schimers test. No staining test that I remember. He did examine my eyes with the slit lamp. Could he have seen dryness there just by looking at them? They didn't feel dry to me. The only thing I think I experienced that I now know could have been a dry eye symptom is sometimes when my contacts were out and I was in a store or some place with air conditioning, I could just "feel" the air on my cornea. It didn't hurt or bother me but my eye felt naked. I just thought that was becaused my eye was covered up by a contact almost every waking minute for 21 years. Mind you, I could wear my contacts till late in the evening and didn't feel uncomfortable. Now knowing what I know I think maybe that was a very, very minor dry eye symptom? But if you would have asked me pre surgery, "Do your eyes ever feel dry?" I would have answered, "No".
    So what kinds of "dry eye" symptoms would a surgeon look for and is it possible to have dry eyes and not know it or the surgeon to miss it?

Even if you don't have dry eye before LASIK and pass whatever dry eye screening that may be done, it doesn't guarantee you won't have 'dry eye' afterward. I had a test that placed piece on 'string' inside the lower lid. It took thirty seconds to do.

Comment

So Very Familiar

LasikLady,
      Your situation sounds just like mine. In grocery stores, a/c vents in cars, ceiling fans. Yeah, they bothered me, but I had worn contacts for 15 years and it had always been that way. My LASIK doctor did not do a schirmer's on me either. Even if it is not reliable, no tears is no tears!!! I was looking at a photo album w/ pictures of me before LASIK surgery and NOW I notice some signs of irritation from my contact in those pictures. I probably should have just switched from soft to gas-permeable contact lenses. I am infuriated that a trained professional, whether staff or MD, could not see and tell me (an unassuming and uninformed patient) that there could be an issue with dryness and irritation. Everything was just hunky-dory during my 3hr evaluation and not a mention of dry eye. I think about what I would be doing each and every day if my eyes had not been destroyed by LASIK surgery and it makes me sick. I felt like my life was coming together with a great job and new baby. Everything was as good as it gets and then WHAM!!! LASIK surgery. Dry Eye sucks big-time but the resentment of agreeing to the procedure that caused this pain is probably worse. I hope things are and continue to improve for you. The main thing is that we keep lifting each other up and we wake up in the morning we put our two feet on the ground and take each hour and each day one at a time.

Comment

Working...
      X